Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is alkaline soil?  (Read 2815 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
what is alkaline soil?
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:48:38 am »
You may think this a bit of a stupid question, but how do you get alkaline soil? Am about to buy a Violette de Bordeaux fig tree, but have been told the soil needs to be slightly alkaline.
Help please?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: what is alkaline soil?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »
You need to PH test your soil to find out what the current acidity levels are. If it is acidic you will need to apply lime or gypsum depending on whether it is sandy or clay. That will make it more alkaline.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:36 pm »
Hi WBF, I have all the kit here that you need to test soil pH, so if you fancy posting me a small soil sample, I'll gladly give you a rough idea of what your pH is like at present.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:11:41 am »
Before i moved here i grew my (brown turkey) fig in a fig pit I dug and lined with flagstones as per the advice of that era. It worked well, lovely juicy figgies - and while my ordinary harden soil was OK in that location then a fig pit can always be filled with bagged stuff. Pit was a metre cube - probably a bit large.

The cuttings Hester sent me - 5 doing well in the greenhouse still - will probably get scattered around the curtilage in appropriate looking places - sadly no south facing suitable wall - and likely be allowed to do their own thing, bar pruning.

Fig cuttings are easy so spread the love :wave:

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »
You would also be able to pick up a pH test kit in your local garden centre from the cheap to expensive ones.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:11:09 am »
we just did ours, the PH came out at 7 ..its easy to test, just takes up to 24 hours...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:32:42 am »
we just did ours, the PH came out at 7 ..its easy to test, just takes up to 24 hours...

Lucky you .... average of 5.4 here!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:23 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, and the offer womble, I might get a PH kit of me own. I was really thinking of planting it in a very large patio pot, but wanted to use me own soil.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS