Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We seem to have acquired a Ewe?  (Read 5310 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: We seem to have acquired a Ewe?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:30 pm »
Confessions of a sheep rustler??

;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 10:50:39 pm »
Confessions of a sheep rustler??
Not me   :innocent: they always seem to disappear again once the grass comes through. We have had 1 that has spent 3 winters with us, always goes in the spring but back again the following winter. 
Graham

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:35 am »
MF I would feel pretty bad. But can understand the temptation.

Its a difficult situation though. I rent a bit up the road next to a guy who starves his cattle every winter, last year I had to phone him at home, go to his house, phone him at work and then (eventually! Three weeks later!) inform him I was going to charge him £10 per head per day before he would remove his cattle from the land I was paying to be on, the locals told me I had no chance as his cattle go where they please every winter and he has been prosecuted once for cattle on the road. Anyway, big falling out and the cattle went, I have just moved my sheep off the one field as there is nothing left there, I said to my wife at the time the cattle were hungry again (you can hear them all bawling up and down the valley) - over night a black steer appeared, it has been there nearly a week.
you could put electric fencing around were they get in.....

What do you do? TBH I'm thinking of giving the land up next year, its very difficult land anyway but as I have put in a lot of work there I don't want to. Any innovative suggestions that don't involve risk of injury to man or beast? Also I detest phoning pen pushing authority types.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 04:17:51 pm »
Sorry but I have been a bit slow in updating this  ::)

After asking around all of the local contacts the only suggestion was a farmer 8 miles down the valley who is renowned for poor animal husbandry. We tagged a note on the gate to on of his land acquisitions and a few days later we had a knock on the door and 'Shaun' was removed and taken back 'home'

All's well that ends well?  :thinking:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »
You'll know where to go when the next one turns up  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS