Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted- LLEYN EWES  (Read 3842 times)

AllenHTFarm

• Joined Sep 2014
Wanted- LLEYN EWES
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:39:54 pm »
looking for LLEYN ewes/ ewe lambs. Would also consider lleyn x. Located in lancashire

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Wanted- LLEYN EWES
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:27 pm »
I'm to far away from you Allen I'm afraid. I have a friend who runs about 1500 and usually has some for sale.

Keep looking and be assured Lleyns are a very good breed to have. Some of my tup lambs are going off next Thursday and I expect them to make good money if the trade holds.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

AllenHTFarm

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:54 am »
Hi thanks for your reply anyway! :) They do seem to fetch good money. I've never had any lleyn ewes but they sound like the ideal breed to keep costs/work down and maximise lambing percentage/profits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »
I keep lleyns and  they're the best breed of sheep i have kept so far. Why not look on preloved or farming ads? Or the lleyn sheep society page it'll have a breeders directory on the website. When buying a starter flock be sure to be prepared to pay a decent price for good stock.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

AllenHTFarm

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »
I have looked online quite abit, only ones for sale are too far away. Found a flock up near me (from the society web page) which I really like the look of, but he has none for sale at the moment, so still looking. Probably end up going to auction. Lleyn in lamb ewe sales up here on February. What prices do you pay/receive for them? :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
I don't take my sheep to the society sales at the moment, I take them to normal mart and I get an average price for them. I am thinking of taking my sheep, when I have any to sell, to a society sale, you generally get a better price at a society sale, but they have to be registered with the society. For the store lamb you can get, depending they're good, £60.00 each, but it depends what people want to pay for them and what part of the country you live. Lleyns produce excellent flavored lamb, which is one reason why we keep them, the other reason is they're milky and produce good lively lambs and are very good mothers. They're also a low maintenance sheep.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:52:17 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:55 pm »
Scanned in lamb with two's your looking from around £140 up depending on quality.
Look out for tight fleeces and medium ears not held to high. No kelp in the fleece and black around mouth. Odd black spots on ears no problem.

Get hold of a copy of the Lleyn year book and read up on the breed.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:32:58 am »
What would be a fair price for Lleyn ewe lambs in lamb to a tidy Charmoise tup due April? I have been asked to sell a small number to a friend of a friend for her son for xmas

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:05:18 pm »
I reckon about £125-140 if scanned.

Sold some Lleyn tup lambs today at Kington auction. 44 Kg £74 each. 49 Kg £80 each.
Off grass..April born.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 08:12:43 pm »
I got mine from Richard Paul in Arncliffe, north Yorkshire. He's on the breed society website. He's welsh as well if that helps :thumbsup:
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:32 pm »
He's welsh as well if that helps :thumbsup:

Oh yes, always helpful IME  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS