Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trees and overhead electricity cables  (Read 6369 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Trees and overhead electricity cables
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »
If you have trees on your land and their branches are within 2 metres of an electricity cable whose responsibility is it to cut the branches back? EDF supply the electricity.
also - what if your trees overhang a public lane - all be they 6-8 metres above the lane.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Trees and overhead electricity cables
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:51:11 pm »
when ours and our neighbours trees were too close to the wire, the electric company (Scottish hydro) came and cut them down, at their expense and paid compensation. except we didnt know about the compensation bit so never asked but our neighbours did and got tree saplings as a replacement.  :rant:
we have electric overheads right across our land and while we have to offer access after 3(?) days notice, they are responsible for keeping trees away from them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:57:23 pm »
Scottish Power cut ours back, but never again.  They were very helpful, and left us with the wood for our wood burner, but their idea of a pollard was horrible.  We coppice our own now.  It's only when they get to within a couple of feet of the wires that they get insistent.
We had a giant Christmas tree getting ever closer to some wires - we cut it back once but it never looked right, so we removed that one completely ourselves.

As for who 'should' do it, well, if your trees damage your power line then you pay for the repairs.  If it's a larger wire supplying others then I don't know.

As for the lane, usually the branches are kept back by lorries driving through, making a tunnel effect.  We have a tree which has branches projecting horizontally towards the road low down, so we will be dealing with them this winter, for safety.  If the Council do it, they take the wood.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:00:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:32:58 pm »
Ours were cut and they left bloody great ruts in the grass and butchered a lovely oak tree that now looks completely lopsided - I just hope it survives...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:15 pm »
Western Power got a local company to come and cut back the trees that might cause a problem. The men came round a few weeks beforehand to say what they were going to do. It wasn't a problem and they cleared up completely afterwards. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »
In the UK it is the electricity company that comes round and does it - I think they would rather NOT have Joe Public anywhere near their cables... ;D

Not sure about the road, the lane next to ours is private and the owner comes round and cuts the overhanging branches and I feed them to my goats! It is usually just the oil company that complains about access height.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:12 pm »

Thanks all.EDF returned today but this time with chain saws !! No charge and they stacked up the branches of one of our walnut trees for  us. It is unclear who owns the land alongside the lane to our hamlet but they cut back a few trees under their cables.
After much discussion my neighbour said it is best if we cut the trees that are on the bank at the side of the lane.  Unfortunately I think that he thinks that we are felling them rather than taking a few branches off. He has plans to get others to help close off the lane and move the timber,Suits me.  ;D ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS