Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Names  (Read 1597 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Pig Names
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:26 pm »
Stupid question, but do pigs have a list of acceptable names and you can only use them? Am seeing a lot of <herdname> <repeated name> <number> - eg Shutevale Lucky Lass 761 and Tudful Lucky Lass 72 (Sorry to use them, was just a webpage I was looking at - hope its ok) and wondered if there was a reason?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Pig Names
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »
you have your own prefix, then the bloodline, then the pigs own number. the gilts take the sows line and the boars take the boars line. then there should be a list of litters born to that pig, which I think says how many farrowed and how many survived.
. - if I remember rightly.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:51:46 pm »
Ok so if I buy a pig called A Amy 1 and breed her to B Ben 1,
my female piglets would be nutterlyuts Amy 1/2/3/4 etc and all my male piglets nutterlyuts ben 1/2/3/4?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »
That's the idea.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »
I think what you're asking is what you can call your herd (i.e. your prefix) - mine is Tudful, the Welsh spelling of Tydfil, and I chose it in honour of the town where I was born.
[/size]Lots of people choose their farm name - or a derivative of it - but others choose something completely abstract. It's really up to you - and the BPA. The BPA has to approve it's an okay name to use. When I was choosing a herd name, I was told that I couldn't choose the name of a person, nor a town or village. Apart from that, you have a pretty free reign, although, of course, profanities wouldn't be allowed.
[/size]As to how you name pedigree offspring, it can take a bit of time to get your head around, but your breed reps will help.
[/size]This is a bit I wrote for the Tamworth Breeders' Club website:
[/size]
[/size]Pedigree pig names have three components. The first part is the herd name (prefix) of the breeder, the second the bloodline (which is the same as the dam/mother or sire/father) and the third, the pig’s individual number. For example, you might have Myfarmname Dreamboy 96 (male), or Myfarmname Jacqueline 97 (female).[/size][/color][/font]
[/size][/color]All pedigree pigs are given a particular bloodline name which is passed down to their offspring. Female piglets inherit the dam’s bloodline and male piglets inherit the sire’s bloodline.[/font]
[/size]As you spotted when you visited my website, I have pigs with my own prefix (Tudful) and pigs with other prefixes, (e.g. Shutevale - the prefix of the late, lovely, excellent pig breeder Nick Hunkin) which I have bought in.
[/size]I hope this helps. If you want to message me or email me, please do.
[/size]Good luck with your breeding.
[/size]Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS