Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rain  (Read 3940 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Rain
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »
Just so sick of all this wet weather. The post I had my apple trees tied to started moving and when I went to hit them back into the ground they were swimming in water. The paddocks are the same, not great for the animals. Lucky for the pigs, they have hard standing as well as the grass so quite happy. Garden looks terrible though and the pollytunnel is a wash out. I had planned to put a load of horse muck in their but pushing a barrow through that lot is a no go. Depressing.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:30 pm »
The forecast for this coming week is much drier, thank goodness.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:15:40 pm »
Quite a bit of flooding in Strathmore and also along the South Esk River.
The weekend has been dry but last week, especially last Friday, oh jing's - wet, it was unreal.
Forecast for rain with us tomorrow and then drier the rest of the week thankfully.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:29 pm »
We have more water pouring out of the ground at the bottom of our land than we did at the end of all the rain last winter. The water table is so high if this wet continues I can see serious flooding here in the West Country again.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:49:04 pm »
been down to the holding today, the stream was flowing well
i wanted to take a soil sample, in which i did…the good thing about slopes is ….most of the water runs off
had a good 18inches of topsoil, only about the 1st 7 inches where wet,

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 11:38:29 pm »
We have solid pallets down in part of the field shelter and some paving slabs at the front - the sheep were standing on them like little islands today :( .  Yet 2 months ago our winterbourne (stream) had dried up. ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:11 am »
Wet here too but forecast to dry up for the next couple of days. Dan dredged the main ditch yesterday and it's flowing well but there's just been a lot of rain.

I wasn't planning to house the catle until late December but I might have to bring them in earlier if it stays like this.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:42 am »
I re-instated a large pool that had got silted up over the years as a community project for the children to pond dip in. Still need to landscape and plant it, but it's full at the moment and no chance to work on it when it's so wet.
Waiting for some frosts now.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:47:52 am »
quite miserable here, saving grace that its so  mild... I think this time last year it was hitting -5c.
I also  notice that even when its been dry.. its so cloudy and dim all the  time.. rarely seeing a clear sky or any sunlight.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:19 am »
Just so sick of all this wet weather. The post I had my apple trees tied to started moving and when I went to hit them back into the ground they were swimming in water. The paddocks are the same, not great for the animals. Lucky for the pigs, they have hard standing as well as the grass so quite happy. Garden looks terrible though and the pollytunnel is a wash out. I had planned to put a load of horse muck in their but pushing a barrow through that lot is a no go. Depressing.

When I worked in National Hunt in my long ago youth we never used wheelbarrows but "mucksacks" these being sacks (hessian) cut down one side and across the bottom. You put your muck on it, how much depending on your strength, put the corners together and slung it on your back. This may be a way of transporting your manure.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
Chucking it down here, The river is almost burst its banks so its a case of sit and watch in case we need to move the goats or poultry  :-\
Graham

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 03:37:50 pm »
wet, miserable and down right disgusting weather, even the dog is...'what you want ME to go OUT THERE????'

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:34 pm »
We had bad flooding last week, all ok now though, quite good weather. Am so sorry to hear that you're all having problems with flooding.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
even the dog is...'what you want ME to go OUT THERE????'

My dear old GSD, who we lost last year, was like that. She would stand at the back door crying because she was desperate for a wee but refusing to go out in the rain! I would have to go out with her and hold an umbrella over her while she peed. She didn't seem to mind if I got soaked!  ::) :dog: <3
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:48:57 pm »
The forecast for this coming week is much drier, thank goodness.

About time too!

I have had to dig around and find out what the PO did with his drain pipe network as the barn was flooding and our hay is now damp at the base of some bales. Looks like I may have sussed it for now as he hadn't used any pipe connectors (slashed a hole and shoved the pipe into said hole which then collected mud..rocks..small people) or connected some pipes  :knit: Who would use porous pipe to drain away a 50ft long barn roof? That will be changed in the spring  :raining:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS