Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tamworths  (Read 2031 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
tamworths
« on: November 16, 2014, 12:38:30 pm »
i think ive decided to get some tamwort h s to turn over an acre of land thats got out of control.... i had kune kunes before but that didnt work,,,,, how old is to old to butcher tamworths as i dont want 6 i want maybe 2 and keep them for as long as possible on this land... i had 7 kune kunes and 2 years on still eating the bloody sausages got them for tea today..... mainly want them to turn the ground over and meat is secondry.... or is anothe bread more suitable (dont want great big pigs)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: tamworths
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:40:41 pm »
Get gilts 3 maybe send 1 for pork & 2 for bacon pigs will clear land but will always grow back sometimes worse as they spread the seed of the weeds

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:04:29 pm »
depends on your abattoir weight limit. we ate an 18mth old and she was very good.  she weighed 180kg dead weight.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »
Agree get 3 gilts and you can keep them upto about 9 months, turn your land over and a freezer full of pork and bacon :yum:
Mandy :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »
I've sent off pigs at a year old for bacon and the meat has been great. Just watch that you don't feed them too much after four months. If you can, strip graze them with electric fencing, so that they concentrate their efforts on small areas at a time.
Best of luck. You'll love having Tamworths.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS