Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A lot of banging and clanging  (Read 2448 times)

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
A lot of banging and clanging
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »
Finally got my boys together in a small pen ;D they are really going for it. I am hoping they will find out who's boss and can go out together in a couple of days. A texel, new to me this year and a speckled also a yearling and fairly playfull. He had a different texel to spend last year with and I think he's going to be top tup.
 How long does it normally take for them not to beat each other to death?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: A lot of banging and clanging
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »
We usually pen ours for only a few hours, but the pen needs to be very small so they can't get a run up.  This spreads their smell all over each other.  If they've got room to take a swing or a run-up at each other then they've got too much room.  But you couldn't leave them like that for long as they need to eat, drink and sleep.
Ours always fight a bit when they first go out after the penning, but they usually get bored after a few minutes, especially if we put some food in their trough.
Maybe everyone does this differently, so you can take your pic of replies.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »
We put ours in separate fields - that way we don't have to worry about them or keep checking them.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
Most of mine live as a bachelor group. They form their own rugby scrum when a ram comes back and mill around in a tight group for a while befoer getting back to their usual hanging out. They have already previously established a heirachy and a single ram won't pick a fight with a group ( unless he' s really stupid or is pretty sure he's top ram)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:48:45 pm »
Not sure about the theory of penning them together, hopefully you've let them out before you find the answer to your question.  Now is the worst time of year to introduce tups, but they'd be better in a field with some wethers.

Don't underestimate their ability to kill each other - it happens and not rarely!

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:57:03 am »
I agree with OS - don't forget their skulls are six times as thick as ours - they're not called "rams" for nothing, and they can pick up a speed of 30 m.p.h. for short distances.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:28 am »
I understood that two rams as opposed to three or more was a poor combination as they could fight like boxers with nothing to distract them... like a charge up the rear end from another ram.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:24:50 am »
The penning really really close for a short period of time does make sense and something we will employ in future when we mix new rams.  At close quarters they can swing they're heads, but can't pick up any forward speed.  Sounds like our local nightclub...

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:00:19 pm »
Finally they are in the field, a lot of shoving and pushing but no charging at each other, heres to a relatively peaceful winter

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS