Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A jammy situation  (Read 2221 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
A jammy situation
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:38:29 am »
Well 

1. I am running a dog show and I made damson jelly and crab apple jelly to sell.  Should I sell these I will be prosecuted under the trades description act because, neither have set >:(  I have ordered pectin and I am planning to reboil with pectin in line with manufacturers instructions.  The jars are sealed so the liquid isn't going off.  PPPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE tell me I can do this or some other way to make this work,  I don't want to waste about 20 jars.
2. Last year I had a quince glut and no time to deal with them so I boiled with sugar and froze thinking I would add to apple pies over the year.  With work, dogs, rescue, drama's and life.... how many apple pies have I made?  Yup, zero..... I used some to make quince vodka.... do you think I could defrost and make some quince jelly, using pectin....

My life is a whirlwind of fundraising and rescue at the moment.  The rescue I support lost their shelter and are in dire straits (it's in Romania) so whatever I can make and sell at the dog show will help.  I am making toys and treats as well and..... the week before I am doing the same for another rescue, running a treats stall for them... I figure as long as the money is raised... we should all help each other. 

Would be so grateful for any response

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: A jammy situation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:52:03 am »
Whenever I've made jelly and it hasn't set I just re boil it, crab apple especially should set well as long as it reaches  the corretd temperature, 104.5. I've never added pectin though......
Bit disheartening washing and re sterilising the jars but much better then wasting yummy jelly.

Good luck!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: A jammy situation
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:03 pm »
KC, what did you do about this problem? Could you not have called it something else, even a made-up name like "Jelly Syrup" or Semi-Jelly"?
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS