Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Almost organic growing - advice needed  (Read 2230 times)

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
Almost organic growing - advice needed
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:19:05 pm »
Hi everybody  :wave:

I've just registered on here as I'm just starting out.
I intend to start growing a few vegetables and salad crops next year and want to use as few chemicals and pesticides as possible.
I understand that crops can be grown in a symbiotic way that encourages nature to take care of at least some of the 'nasties'.
Can somebody recommend a good book that a complete novice would understand in terms of how this works?

many thanks
Simon

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Almost organic growing - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:22:37 pm »
Doh!

Just seen an earlier post asking exactly the same question!

Note to self.......pay attention before posting.

Sorry to have wasted your time clicking on this thread :-[

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:19:42 pm »
Not at all Simon - it's great to hear of someone intending to start out growing veg, and to do so without chemicals is lovely.  :garden:

I grew up in the 1950s and 60s on a mixed farm where we couldn't afford the then new fangled chemicals, so we never started using them either on the farm or in the garden.  So for me chemical free 'organic' gardening is all I know.  It certainly works, just remember - feed the soil which will feed your plants.  Another maxim is 'always grow more than you need' for the birds and pests to have some - they were here first  :thumbsup:

Good luck with your growing.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:25 pm »
I would recommend looking at the Garden Organic website www.gardenorganic.org.uk (or, better still, join the organisation). There is a lot of information on there and you can also access organic seeds from their sister company.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:23 am »
It depends a bit on what you are starting with - state of your soil, variety and quantity/quality of muck you have available, kind of beds you are planning to use (or have already in your garden) etc etc.

I have used the "Organic Gardener's handbook" (M Littlewood) quite a bit and if you are in Scotland (or North of England) I can recommend K Cox and C Beaton's "Fruit & Vegetables for Scotland". Monty Don's Complete Gardener also has a good veg/fruit section, and there are quire a few books with "Organic" in the title in your library. Bob Flowerdew is quite good too. Best to get all the books from the library first and see which one you like most.

I have found the Charles Dowding books interesting if a bit irrelevant, as I am on heavy (with a capital H) clay soil that was arable until we took it over 7 years ago...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS