Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens wanted in the near future  (Read 4198 times)

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
Chickens wanted in the near future
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »
Hello fellow TAS's
I've just introduced myself to the forum and am just starting out.
I'll be a first time hen keeper soon and my research suggests that  Orpingtons, Plymouth Rock or Rhode Island Reds would make good birds for the beginner.
They will be kept in a large run with the possibility of letting them be truly free range, although the run will be will large. (i've been lucky enough to have been given huge amounts of Heras type panels, timber, wire etc).
If anybody within 50 miles of Stroud, Gloucestershire is a position to sell me some in the near future (I'd like to support fellow members as much as possible) I'd love to hear from you.
Also, would it be best to stick to a single breed or have a mixed flock?
I was thinking of between 6-10 birds to start. Is this too many?

Many Thanks
Simon

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Re: Chickens wanted in the near future
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »
Can't offer any info I'm afraid, just thought I'd say "Hi"  :wave:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:29:18 pm »
Thank you!

It's really friendly on here!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »
I don't know when you are wanting them but for the last two years TAS members have popped a page in spring with all the breeds and fertile eggs they are offering. Usually around March time when most people are looking to replenish or add to their flocks.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:48:42 pm »
Think about how many eggs you can use in a week, or, if you want to supply others. With luck and a following wind six hens will give you about 30 eggs a week. I collect poultry as others collect stamps or beer mats, just for the joy of them ;D

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:17 pm »
Thank you for your reply.
Realistically it will be after Christmas but before Spring!

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:25 pm »
Since I have told my friends about our new upcoming venture I've been met with a chorus of 'we'll have some'. I know people like to be supportive and I doubt that everybody who has said they'll have some will want them every week, but I could get rid of 5 'half dozens' a week if only a third of them had some.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 06:48:30 am »
 :thumbsup: Yes!! you are on the slippery slope :excited:

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:14:33 am »
I don't rate Orpingtons personally. Their knickers are a nightmare to keep clean in the mud and do seem to collect poo and so are a flystrike risk in the spring/summer through to mid autumn. They are pretty chickens but I'd advice NOT having a flock of them. One or two for the pretty factor would be manageable :)

I've no experience of the other breeds.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:59 am »
Hi there, ditto on Orpington knicker bottoms!    Would definitely recommend Warrens, Light Sussex & Bluebells.   They seem a lot hardy than hybrids.  Maybe you are also thinking of rescuing some battery hens!
Welcome to the joy of hen keeping!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:26 am »
Black Rocks? Intelligent, friendly and decent layers.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »
Depends whether you want to go with rare breeds or just good egg layers. I keep and breed Orpingtons and love them. I do trim their fluffy bums in breeding season but more for fertility than anything else. They are, however, not the best egg layers - particularly my buffs which stopped laying back in July time and have yet to decide to start again (and won't now until January). I've also found it a myth that they're so laid back you can keep cockerels together although I do have three cockerels in the gold laced breeding pen at the moment because two were fox attack survivors and moved next door of their own choice. Top cock keeps them in their place. But I've got a group of young buff cockerels together which will eventually become dinner (they are good meat!) and they spend a lot of time chasing each other or attacking my boots.

For selling eggs, maybe think about a range of different colour egg layers. I've an Araucana who has literally just stopped laying for moult, having laid almost daily since before Christmas last year - beautiful blue eggs. I've also got a cuckoo Marans who's a good little layer.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »
Hi and welcome.
I have a mixed flock and love them all.  However, my 6 Lohmann Browns have been the best.  They are great layers and are also friendly and inquisitive.  I also have a little White Star who is a brilliant layer and lives life at breakneck speed.  I couldn't imagine life without them.  I wish you the best of luck!  :wave:

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:09:53 pm »
I agree with Heather B warrens are great egg layers and sussex good as well, both hardy.  I give up with Rhode Islands, the ones l had eat so much. Tried them twice. Orpingtons not good egg layers but nice natured. Marans l like and seem hardy.

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »
Thank you to everyone who took the time to post and share your knowledge!

It's funny how you can do all the reading and research you can, but nothing beats hearing from people who actually do it.
You've all given me different avenues to explore!

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS