Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and hens  (Read 1694 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Goats and hens
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:20:19 am »
i posted this on the poultry page but think it might be more relevant in the goat page....
[/size][/color]
[/size]I just wondered how many other people keep free range chickens and goats and how do you manage feeding the hens? I have 2 half acre paddocks which are home to my goats. Between my garden gate and these paddocks is another area approx 16'x25' where the chicken houses, feeders and my feed shed are. Ideally I don't really want the hens in there as it is currently like a quagmire but as I need somewhere to put the chicken feeders out of the goats' reach I have to open the back doors of the houses into this area.[/color][/size]I'd be interested to know how others manage? I have one naughty little kid who scampers through the house to steal the food. Thankfully she hasn't worked out the treadle feeders and I usually don't open the field hatch until the loose feed has been eaten. The houses are not big enough to place feeders in.[/color]

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
Re: Goats and hens
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
I keep hens and goats together free ranging and it is difficult because the goats do enjoy pillaging the chicken feed. So I have a roofed pen with a coop inside and feed and all in there with a chicken sized pop hole so the birds can go in and out as they please to free range. To stop fox attacks I have then surrounds the pen and pop hole entrance with electric netting. The chickens can walk freely through without a shock to get to the rest of the field or wherever, the goats cannot get anywhere near the pen (I know if they really tried they would get in that pop hole!!) and the hens are fox/badger/dog safe but at the same time can free range. If you want pictures I can get some?

These things I have in place because at the time battery powered pop doors weren't on the market. So the other option is a pen with a coop inside and then a solar pop door that closes at night :thumbsup:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Goats and hens
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:53 am »
its a nightmare isn't it?.....lol

our chickens totally free range so we tend to let the chickens out of the coops and feed them before we let the goats out in the morning.
In the afternoon its the other way around, we take the goats in and then feed the chickens before they go in for the night which is fine at this time of year when its dark by 4pm but in the summer its a free for all or else the chickens wouldn't be getting fed until 11pm.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS