Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats, chickens, feeding, runs...  (Read 3278 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Goats, chickens, feeding, runs...
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:36:45 pm »
I just wondered how many other people keep free range chickens and goats and how do you manage feeding the hens? I have 2 half acre paddocks which are home to my goats. Between my garden gate and these paddocks is another area approx 16'x25' where the chicken houses, feeders and my feed shed are. Ideally I don't really want the hens in there as it is currently like a quagmire but as I need somewhere to put the chicken feeders out of the goats' reach I have to open the back doors of the houses into this area.

I'd be interested to know how others manage? I have one naughty little kid who scampers through the house to steal the food. Thankfully she hasn't worked out the treadle feeders and I usually don't open the field hatch until the loose feed has been eaten. The houses are not big enough to place feeders in.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Goats, chickens, feeding, runs...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:50 pm »
I haven't got any goats but I would build a feed station that the goats could not enter ie a construction with a few holes bit enough for hens but to small for goats with a plywood top so the goats could scramble on it and the feeder would be dry. Just my thoughts.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:42 am »
Might be an idea. Dumb question how small can the hole be to allow a Maran hen/cockerel in? I could try and use pallets and cut out a section from the rails.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:23:18 pm »
Chickens can get through a much smaller holer than you'd think - if they've a mind to.  We have a run with an exit 8" x 10" and a mature Wyandotte L?F cockerel can negotiate it with ease.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:56 pm »
If my little goat can get through the hatch on the chicken house I think she will manage 8"x10". I think I will have to play around with sizes. It won't be a problem if the damned goat would just grow a bit!

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »
All my poultry free range and i scatter feed, no feeders at all just drinkers.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »
how about a chicane type system rather than just a hole? I'm just thinking hens might be able to bend round tighter corners than goats?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:40 pm »
Good thinking. I'm trying to get my hen's out of a particular area and if I just scatter food the goats will still eat it. Goats will be inside soon so that will help and give me time to get my hammer out and be creative!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »
I did have goats sharing with the hens in a small orchard. the goats had their own shed and feed but still used to squeeze trough the pop holes and eat the hens food. I was told layers were poisonous to goats but I don't know why, but now they are separate.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:41:51 pm »
We have fenced off a small corner of our field to stop the sheep eating the hens food. We have just done it with normal sheep netting and a couple of stakes in the ground, then cut out a small hole at the bottom for the chickens to get through. We had some goats staying for a couple of weeks and had no bother with the set up.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS