Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ark recommendations!  (Read 2379 times)

Twin

• Joined Jan 2014
Ark recommendations!
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:31 pm »
We're looking for a new ark and would like Some recommends, we seen the ad in the mag for the recycled plastic ark and want to know if there's any other suppliers out there?

Thanks in advance

G&S

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: Ark recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »
Where do you live?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:26:13 am »
Beware of eco-board.  We have an animal shelter that we use for poultry but the board is compressed plastic waste rather than a rolled sheet and the roof is disintegrating, allowing rain to permeate through.  Still works with plastic feed sacks weighted down with rocks on top of the roof, but not what we were hoping for!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:13 am »
Contact your local agriculture supplier and they may do sections of metal arks. Also, a friend made me a lovely pig house from solid pallets. The pallets cost £100, it is roofed with second hand galvanised tin sheets.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
I've just made new ones with of cuts of tree Slabs but depends if you want the ark to be mobile.....

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »
Hiya,

Depends on what breed you are containing. I have LB's and one of my sows in particular has destroyed everything put in her pen! She still sleeps in them but they have no back or front...and they are somewhat more mobile than we planned for  ::)

I have just custom fabricated a steel framed house with removable doors, and human height roof which I really think will withstand the biggest bottom scratching! Having said that my little boar has your standard tin roofer and he hasn't tried anything.

Twin

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
Where do you live?

North west lakes, and the local farm suppliers don't do any  >:(

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »
Well, I wont pretend that we went 'economy', but we bought a recycled plastic ark from 'Arkus'.  A bit of a palaver to put together the first time, but after our weaners went off, we dismantled it, pressure hosed it all down, and it was easy to put back together for the next year.  Feels like a clean way of doing things (when we bring new weaners onto the land each year)...  Also bought their chicken coop, similarly easy to clean, less prone to red mite...

We got an ark with a floor - which in retrospect was a good idea ..... not sure why we felt we needed a little door too though!!!!! (Beginners!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS