Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soothing hand cream  (Read 12261 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: soothing hand cream
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 11:59:44 am »
Karen  :wave: - haven't seen posts from you for a while  :sunshine:

You're very kind  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 12:04:03 pm »
<<<My OH moans when I light my oil burner as he says it stinks. As I use the sitting room and he uses the dining room where the dogs are, I suspect it wouldn't be allowed.>>

MGM - I can understand how he feels as that first mixture I made was horrible and I couldn't stand to be in the same room.  Some people are more sensitive to smells - I also can't bear to be anywhere near the perfume Poison.
So, as WBF suggests, try something simple like lavender, which most people love, and plain night lights underneath, not the ready scented ones.  Plain lavender oil is really cheap.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »
I love to use my oil burner but tend to have it in the sitting room with me especially if I'm writing. i have a lovely cinnamony one that a friend mixed but he's not impressed.

Where do people buy their essential oils?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »
MGM - I got mine from various online sources.  I made sure to choose those with free delivery.  They cost so much less than from a Pharmacy.   The thing which took the longest to arrive was the little pots I need to hold the creams.

So, I think I've hit on a good couple of concoctions which seem to be helping, as I'm just about itch free at the moment.
The first one I made for Mr F to use as a barrier cream.  It's bag balm with rosehip oil, sea buckthorn, lavender and lemon.
The one for me uses E45 cream as the base (less greasy than bag balm but more expensive), with sea buckthorn, calendula, rose hip oil and rose geranium for a nice smell.  I might have put a drop of lavender in too, but I can't remember now - not too much or it will swamp the geranium.
The sea buckthorn oil is a bit hard going to mix in as it's thick, but I got there in the end.  I use just enough to give a very faint tint to the white cream (SB is bright orange)

I'll see how I get on with these before I start trying other combinations.

My oil burners also arrived and I've had great fun perfuming the rooms.  I even have one in the bathroom as an alternative to air freshener - works very efficiently  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »
I have found Aveeno hand cream reduces my exzema (now I rarely have problems spelling, but cannot do that word!) quite well.

Same here. It was prescribed by our doctor for my youngest who has a serious skin outbreak when we used E 45 for his eczema. He had suffered from birth with eczema over his arms and face and within a week of using Aveeno it was greatly reduced. Used it until the eczema disappeared and it hasn't returned 6 years on  :fc:
Now we use it for any dry or itchy skin. Very soothing.

How irritating FW and MGWoM, having permanent itching. Hope you get sorted with a permanent solution. I have serious allergies and when I started with them and trying to find the cause I itched continuously. It took 6 years to sort . Would hate to go back to the  permanent skin crawlies   :tired:  my heart goes out to you both  :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:24 pm »
Went for a massage the other day - bliss - and my friend (she who mixes the oil for me) is making some wonderful creams. I bought some foot rescue cream, which contains organic shea better, coconut and sunflower oil, with peppermint and ginger. It's lovely. Just persuaded OH to sub some into my feet.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 11:31:38 pm »
<<<My OH moans when I light my oil burner as he says it stinks. As I use the sitting room and he uses the dining room where the dogs are, I suspect it wouldn't be allowed.>>

MGM - I can understand how he feels as that first mixture I made was horrible and I couldn't stand to be in the same room.  Some people are more sensitive to smells - I also can't bear to be anywhere near the perfume Poison.
So, as WBF suggests, try something simple like lavender, which most people love, and plain night lights underneath, not the ready scented ones.  Plain lavender oil is really cheap.
You could try any wholefood shop they're bound to sell essential oils, I like to use orange oil, lemon oil, rosewood, geranium, lavender, and ylang ylang
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 05:40:28 pm »
Never heard of sea buckthorn. Do you think it might help my sweet-itchy pony?
I mixed up an oil for mine with tea tree, eucalyptus and lemon essential oils (would have preferred citronella, but I had lemon so that's what went in  ;)) and it worked a treat  :thumbsup:
Apparently neem oil is good for sweet itch too, so once I get the next 3 weeks out of the way I plan on doing some more experimenting - do you want to volunteer a tester horse?  ;D

Juliette, I'm due to make more of my magic oinkment soon  ;) I'll post you a little sample pot to try  :-* :wave:

Lovely Karen sent me a tub of her special oinkment.  Not only has it helped with the itch, but it has also totally cured my cracked heels (once a nurse, always have nurse's feet  :( ).  It smells wonderful, very beeswaxy, and rubs in well.  Thank you so much Karen.  Isn't it great mixing up potions  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS