Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soothing hand cream  (Read 12262 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: soothing hand cream
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »
MGM - in a way I'm glad I'm not alone in the itchy stakes, although I'm sorry you have to suffer too.  It's the skin damage from scratching I'm trying to avoid, as well as the annoyance of the itch too.

Devonlady, I'll try that in the summer when I have fresh flowers and leaves.  I've also ordered some calendula oil so I'll have a go with that.

If I don't get any joy from my experiments with the things I'm going to try this week when the ingredients I've ordered arrive, then I'll work my way through all your other suggestions.

Thank you all so much.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
I always use mint teat for irritating udders, it helps keep them moist and stops them cracking.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 04:57:02 pm »
WBF that stuff makes my eyes water it's so strong.  The other bag balms work the same way.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 11:28:48 pm »
FW, let us know if you find something that works so I can try it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »
Will do  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 11:52:04 pm »
Hi Sally and Louise.  I've looked up beeswax with Royal Jelly.  It's Burt's not Fred's  ;D an American co.  Unfortunately for a 7g mini pot, that's seven grams, sold as eye cream, it's £15 - £17.50.  There is hand cream which looks good, but it doesn't have Royal Jelly in.  I think I'd better concentrate on the homemade stuff til my lottery number comes up (I don't do the lottery  :roflanim:)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 10:06:43 am »
I have found Aveeno hand cream reduces my exzema (now I rarely have problems spelling, but cannot do that word!) quite well.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
I've started experimenting as the supplies come in.  The little mixing pots haven't arrived yet (didn't have anything that would do)
My first experiment was a wash out - udder balm with a couple of drips of a variety of essential oils: lavender, rosemary, lemon and tea tree.  I must have overdone the amounts because it smelt awful  :roflanim:  I had mixed it in a polystyrene disposable cup, which promptly melted from the solvent used to extract the essential oil.  So much for my science degree  :innocent:

I'm waiting for the pots now, should come tomorrow before I try again.  Think I'll try sea buckthorn and cedar oils as a general hand cream, in E45.

I'm very impressed with the sea buckthorn cream.  I bought a 60g pot from www.summerbee.co.uk  and have used it on my hands and wrists every time I wash my hands.  It genuinely seems to have helped with the itch.  I think I'll try adding some of the essential oil to udder balm for Mr F as a barrier cream. Udder balm has cetrimide in, which I wouldn't put on my face, but it's ideal for working hands.

I put the sea buckthorn on my face last night, as it's meant to be good for sun damaged skin, and I have a couple of minor solar keratoses on my face.  I didn't have an adverse reaction so will continue to use it for that too.  I can see me having to send off for a larger tub of that.
I think I can recommend it, MGM.

Another little experiment was to put a drip of various oils, one each, on pieces of orange peel, then putting them on the stone mantle piece, which gets quite hot when the fire's lit.  I left just the rose geranium oil overnight as I really like that, and this morning the smell of dog was quite gone, and replaced with a really gorgeous aroma, even though the fire wasn't lit.  I'm almost thinking of getting an essential oil burner.

This is quite fun  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:29 pm »
Something to get rid of dog smells would be good. Even I am becoming aware of it now. Three big dogs are inclined to be a bit pongy and their bedding can only be washed occasionally.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:50 pm »
Brilliant stuff !  Please keep telling us all about it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:42:09 pm »
Something to get rid of dog smells would be good. Even I am becoming aware of it now. Three big dogs are inclined to be a bit pongy and their bedding can only be washed occasionally.

I've sent off for an essential oil burner (only £3 - 5) and I'll see which one works best against the doggie smells.  The shampoo we use on them lasts a couple of days til they find something else disgusting to roll in, and have to have another shower - but you can't keep showering dogs, not good for their skin.  So masking the pong it has to be.

Several of the essential oils I have bought are for moth deterrents in the cupboards.  We'll see how those perform.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:44 pm »
Brilliant stuff !  Please keep telling us all about it.

I'll post pics of any rashes I get as well  :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:26 am »

I've sent off for an essential oil burner (only £3 - 5) and I'll see which one works best against the doggie smells.  The shampoo we use on them lasts a couple of days til they find something else disgusting to roll in, and have to have another shower - but you can't keep showering dogs, not good for their skin.  So masking the pong it has to be.

My OH moans when I light my oil burner as he says it stinks. As I use the sitting room and he uses the dining room where the dogs are, I suspect it wouldn't be allowed.

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:08 am »
Never heard of sea buckthorn. Do you think it might help my sweet-itchy pony?
I mixed up an oil for mine with tea tree, eucalyptus and lemon essential oils (would have preferred citronella, but I had lemon so that's what went in  ;)) and it worked a treat  :thumbsup:
Apparently neem oil is good for sweet itch too, so once I get the next 3 weeks out of the way I plan on doing some more experimenting - do you want to volunteer a tester horse?  ;D

Juliette, I'm due to make more of my magic oinkment soon  ;) I'll post you a little sample pot to try  :-* :wave:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:50 am »
I keep my dogs outside, cause I suffer with my sinus's. I have about 4 oil burners, no idea why but I like to collect them. Here's a handy tip, you can burn fennel oil or thyme oil when you have a cold and it relieves your sinus's , so always worth having burners for winter. I use lavendar in the burner and it leaves the house smelling very nice. You could also try geranium, rosewood and lemon or orange essential oils from..... Www.calmer-solutions.com
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS