Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soothing hand cream  (Read 12233 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
soothing hand cream
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:39:02 am »
I must have my wrong specs on as I can't find the alternative healing bit.  Still, this will do here.

As a reaction to some of the prescribed medications I take I have very itchy skin.  At the moment it's my hands and wrists which are driving me crazy.  Last night I could only stop scratching one hand by lying on it  ::).  Sudocrem helps a bit but is very thick and greasy so I have to wash it off for cooking etc.  Ordinary hand cream does nothing.

Does anyone have a recipe for a soothing cream I can make at home?  I have wondered if docken would help, or are they specific to nettle stings?  I know marigolds are soothing but I don't have any flowers at the moment.  I am using an aloe vera gel, but it only helps a little.

Help  :fc:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

minidaminx

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: soothing hand cream
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »
Hello

I am new to this site and hope this message reaches you.  Firstly sorry to hear about your suffering at the moment.  Have you tried an allergy relief tablet taken orally I find Chlorphenamine 4mg (pirition) you can buy Tesco or asda's own piriton at a fraction of the cost.  Also have you tried a lanolin based cream ask at boots or cream called bag balm used for diary cows and friction but works wonders on hands.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »
Sorry to hear you have this problem.   :hug:

I don't know if it will help or not, but our chemist used to mix me up a calamine and coal tar ointment, which soothed angry eczema skin.  The other thing I found useful was using Unguentum Merck instead of soap.

In Wiltshire I used to be able to buy a Gardener's hand cream made from beeswax and, I think, Royal Jelly, which I feel sure would help.  But whether you can get it where you are... :-\  It was called Fred's Bees, I think, but I can't turn up the right Fred on t'internet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »
There is a company that do skin care called Burt's bees. I have seen them advertised but haven't used any of their products. Does Plums have anything in her it's baathtime range that would help?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »
Sea Buckthorn oil is said to be very good for angry skin and eczema.
I have no experience with eczema myself, but OH has had persistent flare-ups of rosacea in his face, and Seabuckthorn Cream (from a small company called Summerbee) cleared it up totally and permanently in less than a week. Amazing stuff. (Amazon has some good reviews by other with good results from using the cream too).
They also do Sea Buckthorn oil (pure or diluted with almond oil) that you can use as a booster or mix with other creams.
http://www.summerbee.co.uk/webshop/sea-buckthorn-products/

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:16 pm »
Hello

I am new to this site and hope this message reaches you.  Firstly sorry to hear about your suffering at the moment.  Have you tried an allergy relief tablet taken orally I find Chlorphenamine 4mg (pirition) you can buy Tesco or asda's own piriton at a fraction of the cost.  Also have you tried a lanolin based cream ask at boots or cream called bag balm used for diary cows and friction but works wonders on hands.

Hi minidaminx
Thanks for replying.  I don't want to use something such as Piriton because a) I'll be on these drugs for life, so I'll itch for life, and b) I take so many darn pills I can't bear to add any more  :o

But bag balm, now why didn't I think of that  ::)  I have the dregs of a bucket of the stuff - time to buy a new one, but it will work wonders if I add some essential oils.  So thanks for that - I'll let you know if it works.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
Hi Sally - it's not eczema ish at all, in fact you wouldn't know it itched like mad just by looking, only when I gouge the skin too much.  But I'll definitely look up Fred's bees, or Burt's bees.  I had some beeswax hand cream from our local organic farm shop - it was staggeringly expensive for such a tiny pot but I got it in the bargain basket and it was great. All gone now.   Should be better with Royal Jelly.  Roald Dahl wrote a scary story about Royal Jelly  :thinking:

Thank you Louise - I'll have a look at Plums' website.  Good idea.

Thank you for the sea buckthorn link LadyK.  People used to pick the fruit and eat it for vitamins etc - must be a painful job harvesting it.  You can make a sort of marmalade too, although I believe it tastes awful  :D
A bit of the essential oil in my bag balm is well worth a try.

So thank you all - you are very kind and have given me several things to try.  :santa:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
What about e45? Also it could be an allergic reaction to something. I have had problems with dermatitis before and have found the cause is very often when I have been cleaning out buildings. Oil in my experience does not help, you can get a big container of e45 at any pharmacy, I use it whenever my hands flare up.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »
Thanks WBF.  It's not an actual allergy, just a reaction, but the meds I'm reacting to keep me alive, and it's taken a while to get the combination worked out, so I don't want to mess with them.  I wear rubber gloves for all the messy jobs, even gardening, so I don't tend to get unknown chemicals on me.  I'm sure it's the meds, as they are causing all sorts of minor annoyments - well worth it though to still be around  :relief:

I have tried E45 to no avail, although that could be something else to try adding essential oils to.  I do like the idea of the bag balm though as it's really inexpensive for a big tub, so I can make my own for not very much outlay.

I've ordered some of the sea buckthorn oil to mix in - it says specifically it's for itching, so we'll see.
You've all given me lots to experiment with  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:12 pm »
All the best with experimenting, my mum makes creams and oils with elderflowers.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 07:58:29 pm »
One other option if making something doesn't work is Epaderm - you can get it from Boots. I use it for the really bad eczema I have on my hands but it also is supposed to be good for other skin conditions. It's not too expensive and is the only thing that I have found to work (I must have tried about 30 different ones so far  ::) )
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:34 am »
My skin itches like mad as well. I often have bruises from scratching so much as well as scratch marks. I have Doublebase prescribed but you can buy it from ebay and other places. I also have Dermol for my face and use that when the itching gets intolerable. It doesn't get rid of it but it does dampen it down.

Hope you get it sorted. I know how it can drive you mad at times.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:35 am »
You can buy dried calendula either from  a wholefood/herbal shop or on line. If you have any elder leaves left on trees use them as well or dried elderflower. Get some pure lanolin or petroleum jelly.  Heat all together gently ( very gently) and steep over a just warm heat for about 1 hour. Strain through muslin into jars.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:01 am »
Never heard of sea buckthorn. Do you think it might help my sweet-itchy pony?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »
Never heard of sea buckthorn. Do you think it might help my sweet-itchy pony?

It's that very spiky shrubby plant with slightly silver/grey narrow leaves and orange berries you find on windswept coasts.

In my search for udder cream, as WCF don't make the one I know any more, I've discovered what frog oil is  :idea:  :horse:   I always thought it was something like frog pills a la Terry Pratchett  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS