Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water buffaloes for sale!  (Read 5142 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Water buffaloes for sale!
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:46 am »
For sale 4 Mediterranean water buffalo heifers and 1 water buffalo cow. They all have good temperaments and have been handled from birth. The two young heifers are halter trained. The cow and 2 older heifers are in calf to a top Italian bull, the two younger heifers have been running with the bull, so won't know till I PD them. The cow is 12 and  has proved to be an excellent mother rearing all her calves without difficulty, and always getting back into calf on time, a valuable addition to any water buffalo herd, she is also used to being milked and give quite a nice amount of milk. The 2 in calf heifers have not calved before but their mothers calved very easily without problems and they do come from very good milking stock. The 2 younger heifers, of which one of them has striking blue and white eyes, since birth, have fantastic temperaments and love being cuddled, one of them is out of the cow, the other one is out of one of our best milkers. I have to sell them .A.S.A.P. Because I cant afford to carry them all over the winter. The cow is due to calve April-May, the two heifers are due to calve March-April. If the two younger heifers are in calf they should calve in october. The two in calf heifers are 3 years old, the cow is 12 and the two young heifers are 2 years old. For more info please do not hesitate to email.
Thanks 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Water buffaloes for sale!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:37:05 am »
Might be helpful if you gave some prices.
Also maybe a bit of information about their husbandry.
Do you keep and feed them just like ordinary cattle?
How do you dispose of  unwanted males? Ie, is there a ready meat market for them and if so, who buys them and what sort of prices can you expect?
Can you practically get an income from them, like beef cattle, if you don't want to milk them? Or is their only realistic income source from the milk?
I've considered keeping them for many years , as I'm sure have many others. But I'm most certainly not into milking, and I've not been able to find any other way of making them commercially viable. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:06:38 am »
Yes they are kept and fed like cattle, ours are outdoor reared, so eat pasture all year round, we only bring them in if the weather is too bad, plus they get feed during the winter, like cattle. We milk them and make cheese, but there is also a market for buffalo beef. Buffalo meat is low in cholesterol and has more flavour than normal beef. We sell our bull calves for someone else to fatten up and kill, however any bull calves from our cows now will be kept for us to fatten up and kill, only the ones with the best genetics are kept as breeding bulls. For our buffalo calves we expect £300-400 each, for 4 mnth old calves.. If you keep them for beef, as long as you have a market, you can make quite a decent income off them. They're slower growing than cows though. The milk is a lot more expensive than cows milk, because they produce significantly less than your average cow. Also the milk is group A2 milk which is good for people who are allergic to cows milk, sheep, goats and some cows milk [like guernsey] are also A2. I am asking £1500 each for the in calf heifers, £1250 for the cow and £1000 each for the two young heifers. The cow and in calf heifers are in calf to a top Italian bull, the two younger heifers have been running with the bull, so I won't know till they're PD'd. Our buffaloes are handled every day and love attention, the calves are handled from birth. Our buffaloes have good temperaments, we breed them not only for milk yields, but also temperament. Keeping buffaloes you won't make an absolute fortune, but the turnover won't be too bad.
I hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »
Thanks WBF. It's certainly helpful to know some more about them.
Do you have a market for the ones you're planning to fatten then, or is this something you're going to investigate during the fattening period?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »
Yes I do have a market, but the bull calves am gonna fatten, hopefully, won't be born until nxt yr.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:02:49 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »
Is their gestation period longer than a normal cow? You say younger ones running with bull and possibly due October...........

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »
Their gestation period is about 10 mnths. The younger ones may or may not be in calf, I'll need to PD them to see.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:03:10 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS