Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goat  (Read 3679 times)

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
Pygmy goat
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:40:14 pm »
Hi I have 2 pygmy goats.  One of them has a very very noisy digestion.  It doesn't seem to bother him at all.  When I bought him he was 5 years old and I did ring the previous owner after a month to ask if that was normal, she said she didn't remember it but you certainly wouldn't forget him now.  You hear him coming well before you see him.  Any advice would be appreciated.  They are both pet wethers.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Pygmy goat
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:03:13 am »
I have a pregnant girl who about a week or so ago seemed to be very noisy, I was a little worried and kept on giving her a belly/rumen rub to which she would happily burp in my face - everything seems to be working fine - it seems to have calmed down as I noticed last night she wasn't so loud - I've always taken it as a working rumen and burping goat is a good think it's the opposite I have to worry abut.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:40:13 am »
Yes I've always thought its a good thing but it is really very noisy and gurgle now and hes very round and sounds like a drum when I pat him.  He's seems fine in himself though and I've had him for 2 years and he's always been like it just not quite so actively loud.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:30:11 am »
If he seems larger and rounder than usual I would suspect bloat - especially if his rumen seems hard - I would massage his rumen to aid gas to be released. There are things you could try if you feel it could be bloat like baking soda - here's a link for further info http://www.goatworld.com/articles/bloat/bloat.shtml

Giving baking soda won't do any harm if it's not bloat so possibly worth a try.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:47:23 am »
Thanks I'll try that but if it's bloat he's always had it!

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
I will try the baking soda.  I read the article and mine is not at all distressed and acting normally.  I think I'll get him a goat probiotic too.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »
I forgot to mention I do have one wether that has looked pregnant for the past 5 years - just the way he is and he was the smallest as a kid, absolutely tiny but caught up - but he doesn't have the rumbles that the other had!!

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »
Thank you for the help.....can anyone tell me how much bicarb I should give him?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »
My OH complains that I have noisy digestion! Healthy, I would say ;D ;D

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 10:10:08 pm »
 :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS