Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a Rayburn  (Read 21814 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Moving a Rayburn
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:34 pm »

Subject to the usual negotiations, it looks as though we've finally found ourselves a good second hand Rayburn (solid fuel model). However, it's currently sitting in the seller's kitchen, and we'll have to get it out of their house to take it away. The house is a bungalow, so there are no steps between the kitchen and the drive thankfully.

It's currently sitting on a 2" ish plinth, so we'd need to slide it forward off that and I'm thinking either onto a pallet truck or rollers made from cut up scaffold tube or round fenceposts (can anybody confirm if Rayburns have smooth bottoms?  ;D ). After that, I think a tail lift truck will be the order of the day.

However, I'm sure plenty of folks on here will have done this before, or watched professional installers do it.

Any hints folks?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Moving a Rayburn
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »
They do indeedy have smooth bottoms!

We moved one using a pallet truck.....just to other side of the kitchen mind while we built a higher plinth

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »
the only one i moved was a pallet truck job... and about 47 mates to actually help slide the bugger, they are heavy :-)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 09:57:13 pm »
Ah, perhaps I should have mentioned that..... it's a long way from any of my mates, so we're likely to have about 45 people fewer than you did Bloomer!  :-\
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:48:57 pm by Womble »

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »
Mine was moved on rollers on a rough yard, up a small step,, along a narrow path, up another small step, around a corner, down a bigger step, across the kitchen and up a three inch step into a fireplace opening about 5 inches bigger than the rayburn.
By two strong builders and one lanky teenage son,

I just stood and watched and kept my fingers crossed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:30:10 pm »
From seeing ours arrive, one tip is to remove the doors, firebricks, hotplate covers and hotplate, to make it as light as possible.  They also manouevered it without the front rail in place.

In fact, we didn't see ours arrive, we were out and our installation fella supervised, but it stayed stripped down for a few days while he completed pipeworks.  He and his two strong sons then wiggled it to its final position.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:01:39 am »
I moved our aga with the help of three big blokes and a couple of scaffold poles as rollers. They are unbelievably heavy and the slightest step over a door can be real pain - we used some round fence poles along the way to help ift it up (they were a little bit thicker than the scaff poles so helped get it at an angle) it up as we negotiated the (small) steps. We managed to get it about fifteen feet out of the front door, to a position it has sat in ever since,  while I await the completion of my plans to turn it in to a novelty barbeque.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »
You can also remove the top if the screws aren't rusted solid. Heavy but we managed to move it without full dismantling
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:58:52 pm »
moved 2 rayburns    2 times each one   using fence post rollers and  telegraph pole rollers for steps , two men only as no room for more  all fairly simple     ,     the only problem  iv'e seen with rayburns has been the boiler  , out of  4 in use locally 2 have had new boilers fitted

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:43:29 pm »
Right then, I'm off scaffold pole shopping tomorrow!  ;D

You can also remove the top if the screws aren't rusted solid. Heavy but we managed to move it without full dismantling

Which screws are those Spandit?  Is it the silver ones you can see at the corners in this photo?

Also, I've seen a few references to taking the front rail off to reduce the width. Any idea how to do that?

By the way, if anybody wants our old Esse Premier 4 (a solid fuel Rayburn clone), still in good working order, please give me a shout, as otherwise it has an appointment at the scrap yard next Friday!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:55:54 pm by Womble »

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:03:19 am »
Mine had different screws but those are probably the ones.

The rail supports are bolted on and awkward to undo, although not impossible. Have a look from underneath
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 10:08:31 pm »
Well, the selller has sent some more photos and measurements for their doorways etc, and it looks as though we won't have to take any bits off, except to save weight.

However, having seen these latest photos, I'm a bit concerned about the plinth it's currently sat on. It's only 40mm high apparently, and it looks to me like the tiles were laid after the stove was in place.

I've got some sheets of OSB to protect the floor, along with various diameters of steel and wooden rollers. The question is though, how on earth do I get it off the plinth and onto the rollers, without either damaging it or making a right mess of somebody else's kitchen?  ::)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:56 am »
big block of wood and a long pry bar to lift one end???

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 09:23:35 am »
Yes, I think so Bloomer.

At the moment I have to lift it up  a bit by sticking one of these bad boys in one of the oven doors to 'break the seal' with the base. Then I'm going to try and slip a sheet of steel underneath to make it slide easier.

If anyone can think of a better way though, I'm all ears.

We're going to be taking our old range out later today with any luck, so we can practice all the moves in our own kitchen.  Bye bye Elspeth. It's been fun  :'( .

Wow, who'd have thought I'd be getting all emotional over a 30 year old lump of rusty steel and sh1t brown enamel!  ::)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »
we need many pictures and a write up in your unique style!!!

good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS