Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dehydrating  (Read 1953 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Dehydrating
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:44:33 pm »
Does anyone have any dehydrating book recommendations?

I'm about to buy a food dehydrator but all the books I've seen on Amazon have comments that they're all about the recipes and not the basics of using a dehydrator for beginners (temperatures and times etc.)

There's always google, but I'd prefer a book to reference easily and I know there's always a TASer who's been there before!  ;D :thumbsup:

Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Dehydrating
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:46 am »
If the dryer is brand new it should have a hand book with the details
 Dummies guide to preserving & canning  has a bit of info .
If I recall correctly there is a JeBoufe ( sp ) dehydrating book as well , it can be FOC for Kindle PC laptop etc. or printing off ..

If you look up some USA websites for" safely dehydrating  food + USA "  you can find their national guidelines from  most of their university extension departments on line , you can down load & print these as well for free
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Re: Dehydrating
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
Thanks Cloddopper.

Unfortunately the reviews for all the dehydrators I found said that the instructions that came with the machine were seriously lacking.

I've ordered one now along with Mary Bell's dehydrating book. We'll have to see if it's any good.

As a complete novice I was hoping for something with a comprehensive table of times and temperatures for different foods. If the instructions or the book don't have it I'll just have to find the info online and maybe print it out so I've always got it to hand.
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS