Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Predator fencing again  (Read 5837 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Predator fencing again
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:38:57 am »
We currently use 50m electric nets for our hens and so far have not had a predator issue, other than rats. But, it is a lot of work to keep it all maintained. In the summer you are constantly trying to keep the grass down and in the winter it's a matter of stopping the wind blowing it down all the time. I think it's a good solution if you want to keep moving birds but we are looking at some more permanent pens now for small breeding flocks. Another issue we get is crows and magpies stealing eggs.

So, the idea I have is to use 6ft post and wire. Tornado poultry fencing at the bottom with the base let out to stop digging. This will be about 4ft high. Then for the top 2 feet, multiple strands of strong electric steel wire. Also 2 strands of electric on the outside of the posts at 1 and 2 foot. On top of the run, bird netting to stop egg thieves but big enough not to catch too many leaves.

Anyone have a similar setup and have any tips?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Predator fencing again
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »
I've built pens using release pen netting with bird netting forming the top part of the sides and the roof. Mine are a bit low (4ft) but you can get 1.5m release pen netting. Problem with bird netting is snow though IME. not predator proof but hopefully means there are easier meals out there.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:07 pm »
I use pigeon netting over our runs to keep the magpies out, works well.  Nice for chicks in the summer too.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:16:16 pm »
I was thinking of something with large squares which hopefully snow and leaves would largely fall through. Like pigeon or seagull netting. Should keep out the crows and magpies too. As you say, means you can get growers out earlier too and keep them safe from raptors.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »
I am tempted to try and use these panels http://stores.ebay.co.uk/firstfenceltd/Temporary-Fencing-/_i.html?_fsub=2976934010 as side panels sunk into the ground - secure, strong and pest resistant.  Along with a bean style net on the roof supported by cross beams of wood for support.
No issues of grass shorting out any electrics.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:35:51 pm »
heras panels make great chicken pens, just remember small chicks can get out through the mesh...

i have 6 i use as additional temporary pens if i need them especially for short periods for breeding groups etc...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:39:06 pm »
heras panels make great chicken pens, just remember small chicks can get out through the mesh...

i have 6 i use as additional temporary pens if i need them especially for short periods for breeding groups etc...
I want to extend my chicken run - where do i get these panels, David?  Will chat to you about it on Friday.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »
http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-building-materials/heras-fencing-temporary-fencing-roundtop-panels-second-hand-sets/1087481586

for chook pens they are used upside down and you don't need feet so they usually a bit cheaper...

each panel is 10ft long....

they also fit on my trailer so can collect them for cost of diesel annie :-)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:02 am »
A day like today makes me think fixed fencing with a net on top would be a good idea. I've got leghorns all over the place.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:52:30 am »
my pen with cream legbars in has to be netted as they love to get out and into my veggy patch!!!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »
Went up today to find all but 1 of my Leghorns killed. The other had managed to get out of the pen. Some just dead, some with heads off. The fence was still up but by the look of it the fox had found it difficult to get out as he had been scraping all around the pen and obviously getting a shock when he tried to get under the net. I'm hoping that might have put him off but I'm now freaking out about my other pens as he knows they are there now. Going to mole valley in the morning to get some posts and will put an extra fence around the lot with 7 strands of polywire. Sort of what I was planning all along but hadn't got around to. I think I need to move to fixed pens as that's my Exchequer program almost wiped out. 1 hen left out of 10. Only good thing is that I didn't put the cockerel in as they weren't laying yet.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:32 am »
Oh how awful! I'm so sorry. Apparently some foxes learn that the shock of the fence is worth it for the gain of a meal - some local farm around here had a fox that just seemed to ignore the fence because he knew what the prize was. I don't know whether there is an answer - I lost some earlier this year to a fox who climbed up and over the seven foot fence, ignoring the barbed wire on top. Now the overhang has been filled in with chicken wire too, he's not been back, thank goodness but I reckon he'll find a way in at some point.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
A country born and bred fox would find catching a rabbit easier. It's the poor things that misguided do- gooders bring in from urban areas and haven't a clue how to hunt that will risk all, being driven by hunger.
We had a spate of them being released around here, some so unafraid of humans and so hungry they would walk towards you in broad daylight. Sorry as I was for them they didn't last long!!
Put  a few rats and mice in these people's kitchens and see then how well they love wildlife!!!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:36 am »
One of my neighbours saw a white van disgorging around 15 foxes on the main road late one night, but the driver sped off before he could get the registration number.  A few days later we saw a terribly thin, mangy fox around the yard, so thin he actually went through a square of the sheep fencing as he ran away. A couple of days later I found him dead in a shed, almost hairless and with skin like red leather due to the mange.  It was the most pitiful looking animal I've ever seen and must have been suffering terribly.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »
Disagree that country born foxes would rather go for rabbits. Ours are country born and have rabbits a plenty outside the run but still spent at least a couple of hours trying at various places to get under the fence and then over in order to catch himself a sitting duck. Domestic poultry are generally far easier to catch (especially if they've worked out their entry point already) than any rabbit and have a lot more eating on them. It's not really risking all, especially if it's at night - they have quite a few hours of peace to work it all out.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS