Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: she's dying....  (Read 5208 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
she's dying....
« on: November 07, 2014, 11:09:45 am »
Bummer, this morning the loner didn't come out, so I checked on her again later and her head's down, feathers standing up. I made a weak porridge with spice but she's leaving it. Comb paleish blue but only this morning, absolutely fine up to yesterday. No injuries, no bleeding anywhere.
A few weeks ago she had lice I got under control but she started her molt , I suppose she's just been too weak to deal with it all. Her poop always looked normal and I always made sure she had her dinner. And she'd been wormed a couple of month ago.
Shame it's her as all my other hens are such horrible beasts, it's always the nice ones or the ones I like, that die on me, ALWAYS

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: she's dying....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:49 am »
I am sorry to hear that. You have obviously done all you can for her. When mine are sick I find a bit of yoghurt helps, not sure why but it seems to help them start eating again. Honey in porridge us also good for a burst if energy to help them get eating again.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:02 am »
If she won't eat you'll have to put something into her manually if you have any chance of recovery.  Honey on your finger and open her beak - even a tiny drop of brandy might get her round
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:32:07 pm »
I've been doing that, a syringe full every half hour, watery porridge with yoghurt and honey.... She does swallow but now hardly opens her eyes. Not much hope.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »
She's obviously cold. This is due to insufficient food intake for some reason NFD. We have just had a cockerel with similar symptoms. First thing was to warm him up inside, first under my jacket with my hand under his wing to transfer my body heat, then under a heat lamp. If the body temperature is too low the digestive system shuts down and so no fuel to keep them warm- hypothermia. Just warm her up and see what happens. It still isn't too late but soon will be.

Our cockerel is fine. We'll keep him in under the lamp for another night and make sure he poos properly. Problem is he is now getting rather impatient, but we know to put him down too soon will result in him coming back in a day later.

We think he stuffed his crop with dry food and didn't drink before going to bed. The whole lump set and couldn't be digested overnight, so he got very cold and fell out of the coop in the morning unable to stand properly.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
chuck
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:41:07 pm »
So sorry NFD , I have one in a dog crate at the moment by the burner. She was on her own, pale comb, heat in her back end so l have had her on antibiotics. The heats gone but when l tried to put her back with the others 2 of them were bullying her so had to bring her back in. Was looking hunched again ? Picks up when l bring her in and eats like a horse ??
Its always a process of elimination with chucks. Just gotta hope you catch them before they loose too much condition. :fc:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:31 pm »
Sorry to say Kelly that the symptoms sound like peritonitis. It is a condition that repeats itself with ever increasing frequency in my experience. It could however also be a random internal infection. The poos will be green tinged in that event. The bullying is because the other hens can sense she is ill and will kill her given the chance, so she needs to remain isolated until completely recovered.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »
Thanks, Chris. Have her next to the heat lamp now and force feed her still every half hour. Hope for the best. Your suggestion makes sense as she's been on her own since they bullied her badly (she has not taken to the boy) and she has nobody else to cuddle up with during the molt. If she recovers I'll let her sleep in the house in the cat basket.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 04:55:09 pm »
Thanks for all your advice, she didn't make it.  :'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 04:58:13 pm »
 :'( :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:00 pm »
 :bouquet:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 06:19:45 pm »
You did your best :hug: Many thanks for your advice Chris, do you mean egg peritonitis ? Have checked but nothing that indicates an egg blocked in the oviduct,  could be its has gone in the wrong place and broke which gave her the infection ?
What do you think? Sorry for butting in on your post :innocent: Shes one of a batch of rescue chucks, great little characters.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:50:27 am »
We've had a few with egg peritonitis and it's not always obvious but the symptoms sound exactly as you describe. Usually hybrids and it's tough because there is very little you can do. Don't feel too bad.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 08:33:34 am »
Sorry to hear that NFD. As you know sometimes, despite your best efforts, they just fade away. Moulting is a very difficult time and we've had half a dozen with digestive problems this year and spotted another this morning. It has turned very cold very quickly here which doesn't help.

Kelly peritonitis is when an egg, or part egg, slips through a tear in the oviduct, lodges in the abdomen and goes bad. Unfortunately it seems to occur a lot in ex-batts and I've heard of a dozen yolks found inside one hen. There is a treatment now but it is expensive. Involves abdominal draining and a hormone implant to stop her laying. £200 I seem to remember is the approximate cost.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
Thanks for the feedback all,  would l be kinder to put her to 'sleep' its so frustrating as she is lively, eating, drinking,  however she does bury her head in her chest now and then is that a sign of being in pain ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS