Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats, hay and straw  (Read 8202 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Goats, hay and straw
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:07:45 am »
This isn't a problem, I'm just curious -
 I take fresh hay out everyday to our goats which they've eaten by the end of the day (or pulled down and trampled on). I also take fresh straw out some days to top up their bedding.
But when I go out with hay and straw they're always much keener to eat the straw than the hay. Is this normal? I always read about people feeding hay so why do my boys enjoy eating the fresh straw bedding??
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Goats, hay and straw
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
Goats like variety some do like eating straw- good roughage along with the hay, I put some straw in some racks with hay in the rest of the racks often the straw comes out of the racks more easily than hay -they have a self bedding system! I think the extra roughage just like tree branches slows the process through the digestive system so they get more nutrients out of the hay, spring greenery, concentrates they are eating. Mine love eating straw as well as their ad lib hay. Some people might say the hay you have may be poor quality so are forced to eat straw, which may be true in some cases but if your hay is good quality and your goats eat it then they just like the variety also they are individual in their likes & dislikes.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:00 am »
Mine are exactly the same
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:32:55 pm »
And I thought it was just goaty contrariness !   :roflanim:  and all along it is careful dietary control.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
Thanks Talana, I'll start putting some straw in the hay rack as well. I have another issue with hay with our Ouessant sheep - they don't want it from the hay rack, they like it in a bucket but now that the weather is turning so rainy and windy that's not going to work. Their favourite way to have hay is for me to stand and hand feed it to them!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:04:11 pm »
Sometimes I do think some of our animals 'see us coming' and enjoy the rings they can run round us  :-J
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:43 pm »
My goats also love to munch the straw when they have fresh bedding. I did try in the rack once when we had run out of straw and they didn't want to know. It's the only time they will eat stuff off the floor.

Oh except the time one of the kids dropped the ginger nut biscuit I had given her in all the muck in the yard and Pom had it.  :roflanim:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:04:55 am »
I read a book on goat feeding. Said that oat straw is the best to feed.

Is anyone picky about the straw they offer (obviously must be clean and not damp) wheat/barley/oat straw?

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 12:06:39 pm »
Mine love barley straw, always take straw and hay to racks and nearly always eat straw 1st, they do seem to eat a bit more of the hay during colder weather.  The billy will eat a bit of hay but not keen, his favourite is straw too! (the hay and straw are both good quality)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »
mine get straw added to their shavings bed, variety is good.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:24 pm »
Ours eat straw enthusiastically too. I knew someone who used small bales of hay, and in order to fill her hay racks everyday, she put a leaf of gay on each side, plus a leaf of straw in the middle to fill up the rack. Works really well.

Beth

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:51:57 pm »
Mine have always picked through the wheat straw I put on the bed. Their absolute favourite is pea straw but I can't get hold of it in small quantities. Well worth a try but always have hay as well. :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:05 am »
It's mostly barley straw I use for bedding. We don't shake it out but just put a bale, minus the ties, into the shed. By the time they have had a good munch it is fairly well spread out.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:59:26 am »
I only have a bit of barley straw and wheat straw a left but will have a look for pea next year!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 12:02:27 pm »
I only have a bit of barley straw and wheat straw a left but will have a look for pea next year!

Unless you have got a commercial pea grower near you; you will struggle to get it...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS