Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Shropshire  (Read 5332 times)

clunfarm

• Joined Nov 2014
  • South West Shropshire
Hello from Shropshire
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »
Found this forum looking for information on tractors, whether two or four wheel - a slight bone of contention whether I 'need' one or not... Looks like there's lots of useful info here so makes sense to join.

Our South West Shropshire idyll is about as rural as you can get in middle England. 37 acres of mostly pasture in the Clun Valley (written about by A.E. Houseman as "the quietest place under the sun" -- accurately).

We're not yet smallholding, as I still have a job in London so only get back at weekends, but we are making a start. Currently let the grass-keep to two neighbouring farmers who have their sheep on the land and help out maintaining fences, topping annually etc. In the four years since we bought, en route back to the UK from Tokyo, our energies have been consumed with:
  • finishing the house (vendor's work in progress was part way through second fix, fixing badly applied limewash, sorting out un-started kitchen and unfinished bathrooms, etc.)
  • converting the old stable barn into two holiday lets - which should be ready to market in the Spring
  • completing the cart barn (which had no external doors or windows, no upstairs floor or internal walls)
  • completely re-doing the farm track
  • tidying the farm courtyard - partly paving with some of the granite setts that came with the house
  • and starting to create a patch of wild flower meadow.
Now we're starting to turn our attention to the garden - projects in no particular order include:
  • raised beds for vegetables and some cutting flowers
  • drainage and paths - using the remainder of the granite setts that came with the house
  • garden room (in part to protect our water tank store - we're on a spring-fed supply rather than mains and need to get the electronics out of a damp hole in the ground!)
  • building a greenhouse - have just moved a large aluminium 'meccano' kit of parts across the country - a reasonably large semi-commercial greenhouse (from the late 1950's/early 1960's) that my parents dismantled more than 25 years ago that we hope to rebuild
  • soft fruit cage
  • also have some chicken runs that came from a local rare breed centre that closed down - so some chickens (and quail?) may appear once we work out whether a friendly neighbour will feed them when we are away
  • and in the longer term converting a 1 acre field nearer the house that used to be an orchard into some form of permaculture garden
So no shortage of things to do and that's before I get to pasture and riparian management. I'm sure my wife will be along in due course (as I've pointed her at the forums, too) to talk about the foraging that's gone on in the hedgerows, her home-brewing and preserving and other things I haven't mentioned.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: Hello from Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:41 pm »
Welcome from Caithness  :wave:  lots of good advice to be had. Reading your list made me feel tired though !
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 03:58:21 am »
And  :wave: from Devon. I love Houseman's poetry.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from another Shropshire dweller. i agree that the Clun Valley is peaceful. Love to visit Clun village. I actually live in Telford but still manage to keep goats and grow fruit and veg.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
Hello & Welcome :wave:

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:32:19 pm »
 :wave: from Perthshire.

simon h

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
And I thought I was going to be busy........

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:01 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

I guess Clun sheep are on your list? :hugsheep:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »
Woohoo another permaculture person  :excited:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

clunfarm

• Joined Nov 2014
  • South West Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »
I guess Clun sheep are on your list? :hugsheep:
Yes, and maybe Kerry Hill (from just over the border) too.

Bobs wife Morag

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 09:40:46 pm »
 :wave: hi and welcome from shropshire  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:24:44 pm »
There seem to be a fair few of us in Shropshire now.

Kevmat7171

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Shrewsbury
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:04 am »
Hi there...we are based in North Shropshire ....and wish all the best for the future. While I'm on does anybody know anything about permissions required for caravan storage? Some locals are asking if we will store their motorhomes/caravans. Probably more trouble than its worth but thought I would ask.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS