Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "sunken" duck  (Read 1348 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
"sunken" duck
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:09:17 pm »
We have I suppose one of the elderlies which appears to recently developed shorter legs than she used to! Her lower torso seems to have become heavier and lower to the ground and she has struggled since to get up the steps to the ramp to their house.
As she was a bit miserable I thought she might be egg bound but then she started molting, which I think explained the misery. She eats and drinks fine.
Any ideas anyone?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: "sunken" duck
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:06:36 pm »
Don't let her near deep water, she might drown.  If she is moulting, she may not have enough oil to float, and if elderly she  could have arthritis
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:02:46 pm »
just a wee update, been now to the vet with her as I wondered if she should be put to sleep.
Verdict is to let her live as long as she doesn't get bullied and eats and drinks. No cancer, egg-binding  :relief: , it's a hernia, probably a duck that has always laid large eggs.... :&>

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:30 pm »
Oh bless her
Is it time to retire yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS