Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating chickens with coccidiosis  (Read 3440 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Eating chickens with coccidiosis
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:06 pm »
Just had a sudden outbreak in my growers field, I think from jackdaws as I've seen a lot lately. Got meds and seperated out the pullets today so they are all being treated. I've got 11 cockerels that are 24 weeks this week and some are showing early signs so I need to process them pronto. Was wondering if they will still be OK to eat? I know I can't eat them once they have had medication so it's now or never. Bit gutting having raised them for 6 months and then find I can't eat them.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Eating chickens with coccidiosis
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:12:17 pm »
Interesting question - I was wondering a similar thing about blackhead in turkeys the other day (haven't got it, touch wood, was just wondering what if.....same thing, getting this close and then losing the prize!). Could you ask your vet? I guess it depends on whether coccidiosis can be passed onto humans.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:26 am »
Check first!! But wouldn't cooking kill the cocc. bugs? It kills salmonella.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:41:26 am »
I would have thought cooking would kill most things and I'm not even sure it would be harmful anyway. I know it's a different form to the sheep / cattle version and those animals can't catch it from poultry. Might have to call the vet but they will probably advise not anyway.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:33 pm »
In the old days as soon as there was a problem dad would have them done .We had problems whith terkis and done the same

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the lot and just taking the breast meat off to save plucking / drawing etc.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 05:49:29 am »
Coccidiosis is in the intestines Stereo. It destroys the lining so the birds starve and die. When they are dressed all the guts are removed so I don't see why you can't eat the carcass.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:36 am »
Thanks, don't want to waste them.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:40:34 am »
Yep fine to eat once the withdrawal period for the medication is passed.

Quite common for it to surface in commercial broilers occasionally which are treated then sent off for processing as normal.

I believe in terms of actual financial cost in commercial poultry farming, coccidiosis is still the number one problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS