Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transformation maps for planning your smallholding  (Read 4291 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Transformation maps for planning your smallholding
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:09:58 am »

There are many of us on TAS whose smallholdings will require a great deal of work over many years to bring them up to standard. In our case, that's sorting out an old house and putting in fences, or as others are doing, even moving country and building houses and barns from scratch.

I've been using something called "Transformation Maps" at work for a while now, but it never occured to me until now to do one for the smallholding.

Basically the idea is that you have various 'streams' of activity (in the example above: Service, Process Improvement, Organisation Design etc), and then show the activity in each of those streams converging towards a future goal in the top-right of the diagram.

You can then plot all your various activities or milestones on the diagram, showing the key things you have to achieve each year to stay on track to meet your future goal.

So in our case for the smallholding, I've got the streams as Smallholding, House, Career, Holidays and Free Time, and we are converging on a goal of total self sufficiency, featuring in Ideal Homes magazine, debt freedom, a two-day working week and general Utopia by 2017  :roflanim: .

So, I don't know if this is useful to anybody else, but if you like the idea I'd encourage you to give it a go. It's certainly helping us to feel a bit clearer on our future direction!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:14:46 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Transformation maps for planning your smallholding
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:24 am »
Oh, and by the way, if anybody's using some other way to plan and get inspiration, do share!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:15:28 am by Womble »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:09:52 am »
Really like this, food for thought. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 12:48:50 pm »
I like it too.

Thanks Womble!

:thumbsup:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Super idea, thanks for sharing

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 01:10:20 pm »
mine is a little different…more of a jobs to do, things to buy

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »
I like both ideas, perhaps if I did something like Wombles I wouldn't get so bogged down and depressed. Definitely worth a try  :thumbsup:
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »
I have a list of lists on spreadsheets. I like that one of Womble's though - if we'd had tat five years ago I might not have spent so much time feeling a bit overwhelmed  ::)

I think the key to whatever plannng system you use is that everyone affected is genuinely involved in making and reviewing the plan and agreeing priorities. My problem is that *I* have the plan and I don't always share it, then blow a gasket because no-one's working to it  :innocent:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
what i like about wombles is, it does not put so much pressure as mine does, but for me it wouldn't work, simply because, if i let it a job go for one month, that would extend to two, … i love working within time frames, not always possible, but great to get jobs out the way…

i guess its why i hate business plans too  ;D

i had to have a little chuckle when a guy from the council told me how important business plans where….i simply asked how all the cut backs they where supposed to achieve affected their business plan  ;D ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »
I think the key to this is just having the really important stuff on it, that's moving you forwards towards your long term goals (There's actually not much space on the diagram, so that forces you to prioritise). I've got lists elsewhere hen houses that need cleaning out, hay that must be bought etc etc. However, this is one place that shows just the development stuff, and that's what usually gets lost in all the other day to day hassles.

I plan to colour projects in as they get done. That way it should serve as a nice reminder of what we have actually achieved, but will also remind us of the bits we're falling behind on.

I'm glad this is proving useful folks!  :thumbsup:

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 07:43:43 am »
they look a good idea and could be used for any long term goal. thanks for sharing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:33 am »
I use fractal planning and chaos theory with a little thermodynamics.

It sound svery fancy but really means - trying to keep up with the repetative jobs, do other stuff while forgetting stuff and end up burned out :roflanim:

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 09:19:32 am »
I think im with pgkevet on this one with a little bit of Rosemary's working to a plan but not sharing it thrown in for good measure !
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:24:34 am »
My plans get drawn up on the back of an old envelope during optimistic times/ bad weather or the middle of the night when I can't sleep. ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS