Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I ?  (Read 3850 times)

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Can I ?
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:23:08 am »
Good morning  :wave:
I'm Not knowing how to best put the ewes with the ram lambs due to only having 2 paddocks 1 of which needs to house the ewe lambs.
So can I put my 2 ewes in a small paddock with 2 ram lambs or will this create problems. I need to get them together as the ram lambs are booked to go in the freezer on the 26th

Thanks Paul

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Can I ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:22 am »
Put them in with your ewe lambs?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:33:55 am »
You don't mention a tup.  Are the ewes already tupped?  If they are, then it shouldn't hurt to put the ram lambs in with them. 

However, if they are not tupped, then it could / would cause a fight when one of the ewes comes a-tupping, so in that case, I'd put the ewes and ewe lambs together in one paddock, the ram lambs in the other, until the ram lambs go.

Otherwise do you have a stable or something where either the ram lambs or the ewe lambs could go?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:00:41 am »
Sorry I wasn't clear at all.

I want the ewes tupped by the ram lambs. So my only option I think is to put the 2 ewes in with the 2 ram lambs but unsure if this will create fighting etc i do have an empty stable that I could put 1 of the ram lamb in ? Or wait until the ram lambs go on the 26th and then hire a ram
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:09:17 am by Paulie »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 11:26:00 am »
Two ram lambs together should be fine tupping, its usually only more experienced mature tips that may fight, I have two in one bunch of 40 right now, ones a ram lamb and the other is a ram and they are fine

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »

As Ladygrey says.  You shouldn't leave any sheep on its own so the stable for one of the tup lambs is out.  :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:59:51 pm »
As long as you don't need to know who daddy is (as in you are not breeding for pedigree) - two boys will have a bit of fun before the 26th of Nov...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »
But if you eat them may they be tainted at that age x

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 11:22:31 am »
Depends on breed and age.  January born maybe, April bonr unlikely unless they've been pushed.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:25 am »
Thanks for your help guys, the rams are Wiltshire's and 8 months old and only grass fed. I put the ewes in on Sunday and other than I little butting all seems well, 1 of the tups is showing plenty of interest but no action as yet.
I have used raddle paste on the tups, I'm hoping this won't be a problem when they go for slaughter ???
Also are they likely to loose condition whilst tipping just 2 ewes?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »
Raddle paste won't be a problem - you can always trim it off anyway before they go.  Ram taint might be though, they will now be filling themselves up with male hormones.  I'm not sure how much effect a months worth of hormones will have on the taste....  And yes, they might well lose condition too - too much chasing and not enough eating.  You could however combat this by giving them extra feed daily.

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:31:48 am »
Thanks foobar, I am giving a little feed and hay and just have to take my chances with taint.

The boys and girls have been together for a week today the boys are still showing plenty of interest but no sign of jiggy jiggy !! Should I be getting worried or have the girls just not come into season yet ?

Thanks paul

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:44 pm »
They cycle every 17 days so just be patient :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS