Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pekins at POL  (Read 1609 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Pekins at POL
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:28:00 am »
Hi

I have seen an advert for some pekins at POL, but I don't know how old they are.  What age do pekins reach pint of lay?

Thanks, :wave:

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Pekins at POL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:44:13 am »
Pekins begin laying later than more commercial breeds, as they aren't bred for their egg production. I think mine began laying around 20 weeks but day length has a big impact. If you got them as POL now, I would imagine you wouldn't get any eggs til Spring when day length increases (unless keeping under lights).

sarah angus

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:41 am »
Hi there, we hobby breed pekins and they usually start laying between 16 and 20 weeks. Mine have usuallt stopped laying by end of october ; i live in ne scotland. They start up again early spring and lay small tasty eggs with larger yolk to white ratio. They have a tendency to go broody a couple of times a year and are great mums and pets. Not so messy in the garden with their feathery feet and lovely colours. Cockerels small and not too noisy but great at managing and protecting the flock.
Hope that helps. Sarah

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:13 pm »
Our adult pekins have stopped laying now and we are waiting to see if this years spring hatch will begin to lay or wait until spring .... they are point of lay.

Last years pekin pullets started laying late autumn and we had enough pekin eggs to see us through winter ..... great because all the other pure breeds gave up and had a rest. It was relatively mild last year ... think it is luck if they start before spring.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS