Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Auto feeding hens and geese  (Read 2556 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Auto feeding hens and geese
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
Hi,
has anyone used this type of auto feeder  “Trigger Happy Chickens”  it's the sort that fits under a container full of feed and the birds pick at it to make the feed fall out. Is it any good? would wind be a problem?

David

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Auto feeding hens and geese
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »

As it happens, I 'invented' (OK, Wombled  ;D ) something very similar myself 6 months ago, modelled on a pheasant feeder I'd seen - I didn't realise until later that there was already a commercial version available for chooks.

I'm using it for layer's pellets now. It was a bit fiddly to set up, but once I'd got the hole size right so that only a couple of pellets are released per peck, it's worked perfectly. There are more details on how I made it on my wee neglected wordpress blog. The trigger is actually quite stiff once feed is packed around it, so there are no problems with wind etc. It's also too high for rats etc to get at (I think - to my knowledge we don't have any here).

If you've already got a suitable barrel or bucket, you should be able to knock one up out of bits and pieces you have lying around. Just start with the hole too small and then enlarge it bit by bit until you've got it right. The slabs underneath are also important to stop the area from becoming a mudbath.

Hope that helps!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:08:40 pm »
these are great, thanks for posting. I've been using a pheasant feeder with a spring but in the wettest, windiest weather it can still get clogged-hope these will work better.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »
We use them now and they are brilliant.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS