Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cucamelons  (Read 2846 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Cucamelons
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »
Has anyone grown cucamelons? They sound delicious and look so pretty. I was wondering what sort of climate they thrive in and how easy they are to grow. If they taste good and good ways to eat them. Any info would be great.

:)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Cucamelons
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
My neighbour gave me one this year. I grew it in the greenhouse here in Devon. The fruits are lovely, quite a delicate flavour, as the name suggests, a bit melon and a bit cucumber!

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »
They are on my list of things to grow having seen the Beechgrove Garden successfully grow them for the last 2 years up in Abdnshire.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:48 am »
Good to know, thanks. DH thought I was having him on when I told him about them!  ::)

Were they easy to grow or are they fussy little blighters? (I am not green fingered in the slightest!)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:57:23 am »
Did Beechgrove have them in a tunnel or outside?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »
I think they were in a greenhouse.
We did grow cumbers outside against a south facing fence when we had our allotment.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:23:33 am »
I think they taste more like gooseberries, very nice and refreshing though :yum:

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
Were they easy to grow or are they fussy little blighters? (I am not green fingered in the slightest!)
I think they appeared to be fairly easy to grow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS