Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat Control - Any bright ideas  (Read 15718 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Rat Control - Any bright ideas
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 07:54:50 pm »
This has been our worst year for rats in the ten years we've been here.  We've had a lot of success with poison in boxes but you can't get complacent cos the buggers return.  OH is waging war with a rat who is getting into the chicken coop every night despite her efforts to block the holes. 

I think the best answer is two Jack Russells hunting as a team.    We only have one.   He was sure there was something behind the kitchen fridge so I heaved it out.  He went in one side while the rat came out the other so I had to put my foot on it until the dog caught up.  I hate rats in the kitchen and they are all big this year. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 11:40:28 pm »
This has been our worst year for rats in the ten years we've been here.  We've had a lot of success with poison in boxes but you can't get complacent cos the buggers return.  OH is waging war with a rat who is getting into the chicken coop every night despite her efforts to block the holes. 

I think the best answer is two Jack Russells hunting as a team.    We only have one.   He was sure there was something behind the kitchen fridge so I heaved it out.  He went in one side while the rat came out the other so I had to put my foot on it until the dog caught up.  I hate rats in the kitchen and they are all big this year.

Tell you what's better than two JRT's....two patterdales!! Lol

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »
Hi Carse Goodlifers

Thank you for the two links, particularly the second one to CRRU

SV

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:41 pm »
This has been the worst winter in YEARS for rats!

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »
for the initial period a live catch multi trap can be very effective.

Don't forget rats are also neophobic

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 08:23:05 pm »
strange I haven't had rat problems for 3 years, but I have a cat which catches rodents. Why not get pest control in?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
We had a bit of a rodent problem here but then we got three feral cats from Feline Welfare - problem solved. The cats happily live in one of the stables and we provide food and water. they have been brilliant. Even hubbie, who is not a cat person at all, likes our stable cats!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS