Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shepherds crooks?  (Read 8656 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: shepherds crooks?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:13:52 am »
Wouldn't be without one, is probably my most essential tool.  I just use the aluminium one day to day, mine is blue too, and has also been straightened several times.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:58 am »
I use mine for waving at the ducks to get them into the shed at bed time  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:47 am »
mine is blue aluminium too, will last a very long time.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 07:58:58 am »
I have one of those with a neck crook at on end and a leg crook at the other - its a bit flimsy and I'm not sure I'd buy one again - I only ever crook lambs by the neck and ewes by the back leg (useful when catching them at lambing).

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 05:29:05 pm »
I also have one with the neck end and the leg end, haven't had the need to use them for catching anything  :fc: but before my ewes came to me whistling, I used to use it as an arm extension for getting them into the pen, was definitely very useful for that!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 09:17:17 am »
I use mine for waving at the ducks to get them into the shed at bed time  ;D

And I use mine for herding geese :-[ The sheep would  do anything for a biscuit!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 09:53:54 am »
My geese herd the sheep. I've had to put them in a different field, as the gander kept chasing our tup and nipping him on the b*llocks  ;D .  The sheep remain utterly unherdable, despite the liberal application of digestive biscuits!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:09 am »
Thankyou Womble, one of my best friends passed away last week and I have struggled to raise a smile since. Your last post made me laugh out loud! He actually wanted to buy me a shepherds crook but I wasn't quite sure what I would do with it as my sheep will do anything for a biscuit and I thought (as a newbie to sheep) that I would just look a bit posey with it. I can see from this thread though that they are very handy for all sorts of other things! Am thinking maybe semaphore with a flag on the end of it to communicate with my husband across the fields (as he is deaf)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:52:26 am by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 12:18:27 pm »
I can see from this thread though that they are very handy for all sorts of other things! Am thinking maybe semaphore with a flag on the end of it to communicate with my husband across the fields (as he is deaf)
Now that sounds a good idea. My OH isn't deaf but ALWAYS listens to something on his ipod when he is outside so its almost impossible to get his attention.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:27 pm »
I couldnt be without mine at lambing time, catching the lambs before 24 hours old usually involves a short (or long) chase and a crook around the lambs neck

if it runs too fast they are good for throwing and you hope it stuns the lamb long enough to get there  :excited:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »
I can see from this thread though that they are very handy for all sorts of other things! Am thinking maybe semaphore with a flag on the end of it to communicate with my husband across the fields (as he is deaf)
Now that sounds a good idea. My OH isn't deaf but ALWAYS listens to something on his ipod when he is outside so its almost impossible to get his attention.

EH?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS