Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shepherds crooks?  (Read 8657 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
shepherds crooks?
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:19:57 am »
do people use these?

for helping to catch an individual sheep in a pen full etc?

if so what do people use/recommend?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: shepherds crooks?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:33:54 am »
I used them when I was starting, for catching sheep in a pen, yes.  I still use them for catching lambs.

I use the lightweight aluminium type.  Eg these

My favourite is a short leg crook, which is the right size to be a neck crook for lambs.

I have used a full-size neck crook, but don't have the upper-body strength to hold onto a commercial ewe that way.  You could catch your Shetlands ok with one though ;)

There is one that has a neck crook at one end and a leg crook at the other.  That doesn't suit me, but it might you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:14 am »
I have a Ritchey ColRoy neck crook and that's nice and light.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:45 am »

The only time I use a crook is when I'm posing around judging  :roflanim:  For catching sheep in pens, I would crowd them into the corner then take hold of the one I want (not by its wool, ever). If the pen is too big to do that, so you find yourself running round it chasing the sheep, you need to close down the pen to make it smaller.  For catching them out in the open, I don't.  Occasionally Mr F has to catch a new born Heb lamb to do its navel, tag, sex etc (Heb lambs are up and running like the clappers within a few minutes so if you miss them being born it can be a problem, and if they need castrating when I few days old, well, it's near impossible to catch the little blighters, but a crook wouldn't help) - so, he has perfected a sort of rugby tackle, but I can't do that.  Can't run either.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:34 am »
I like them, particularly for rocket propelled lambs!

I use an old fashioned wooden neck crook.  Very handy when they are almost tame so they come close but not too close.

They are also great for leaning on when chattering!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »
I use mine to keep an over-eager tup at bay, but not to catch any adults. Have also got one for catching lambs, but again rarely use it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »
Use mine more for shoo-ing cattle and sometimes sheep. Sometimes for lambs but I'd never stop a ewe with one.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:07 pm »
we used them sometimes, the neck type, mainly for catching a flighty goat in the stable( ::) yes really) when im on my own and short of patience.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
I think they are great for moving sheep, walking up and down the hills, extra leg to spread the weight on the bogland, sadly I break them regularly though!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:57 pm »
Two years ago Father Christmas brought me a lovely blue aluminium one  :)   I wanted blue as was forever losing them, as I tend to chuck them as i get down and wrestly with the odd naughty sheep or tup.  Its been bent a few times but i just straighten it out.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
thank you everyone...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »
I have found them useful for waving around - and also useful for getting sheepies out of brambles - but ya cant catch them with one in my limited experience. :)

The alu one is my best as well - cos you can run over it and make it straight again :)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:24:07 am »
I found something while clearing the garage might do to try the theory before buying a posh one..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:17 am »
thank you ellied...

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:21 am »
I have an intension of trying to make one over this winter.
I went to the presentation at Lanark last year from the local crookmakers group - it was great.
I quizzed them again at this years show too.
I bought the shanks and blank heads this year at the Game Fair at Scone and so I just need to make a start to them all.
It probably wont be practical for catching ewes but they would be strong enough for lambs (if we had any :().

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS