Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bowmont ram (very rare!)  (Read 5144 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Bowmont ram (very rare!)
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:39:12 pm »
Hi!  I have a rare breed two year old (three this coming spring) proven Bowmont ram for sale.  Ideal for those interested in spinning or all things woolly.  Lovely fleece (around 18 microns).  Can be used to improve the fleece value of your flock.  For those of you who've not heard of Bowmonts (which I imagine will be most) they are 75% Merino and 25% Shetland. Please feel free to ask any questions.  I am based in north Wales and can deliver up to 50 miles radius for the cost of the fuel. Price : £120.
Many thanks!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Bowmont ram (very rare!)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:26 am »
I will have him please if not allready sold ! It's me, Fiona from Cwm main :-). He will have a home for life here. Still wanting to catch up for that coffee and fleecy chat!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:17 am »
Well done FiB  :excited: :spin: :knit: ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »

Bowmont fleece is gorgeous - you could do with one Sally  :thinking:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »
OK Fiona - let me know when you want him and we'll bring him over!

I do have two by the way - so if anyone wants the other one......same price!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:29:55 pm »
Brill  tomorrow?  Can I have the bucket trainediest calmest one ? I have resisted having a ram for 4 years but this is too good to pass up! Will pm my no

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »
Any fleece for sale for spinning?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:05 am »
Hi!  I've completely sold out of raw Bowmont now - it sells very quickly!  I will have more next year.  If you want me to reserve you some just say the word!

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:09:15 pm »
Yes please ????

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »
No idea why there is a confused looking emoji on there morri2 it was meant to be a smiley face ????????????????????????

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:50:49 pm »
OK, no worries!  How much did you want?  I can make up any amount from 200g upwards.

Cheers.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 05:58:38 pm »
What are Bowmonts like for foot problems and general hardiness.
And if he's white, will I then get all white crossbreds or will some colours come through from the shetlands.
I sort of fancy one but have enough trouble with angora goats with bad feet, I really don't want any more problem animals.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 06:58:09 pm »
Hi!  Yes, Bowmonts are white.  Never had any problems with hardiness, they are good outside.  I've never kept mine in unless lambing.  We are about 700ft high here.
Foot problems, no different to any of my other sheep. I have heard that sheep with white hooves are prone to foot problems, but I can honestly say I've not noticed this with mine. 
I've crossbred my Bowmonts with Dorsets, my friend Max has crossed them with Hebrideans, Lleyns and Greyfaced Dartmoor and all the lambs have been white - even the ones crossed with the very black Hebrideans!

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:47:22 pm »
Agree Bowmonts are hardy, ours lambed outside in the snow in 2013 and it lasted for about 4 weeks after lambing and the all survived in fact were full of life. Feet are OK provided they are done every 4 months as they grow very fast. Bowmonts are white however we got a coloured tup from the Macaulay and now have a few coloured ones which we are trying to increase. Brilliant wool for hand spinners, colours run from silver grey to dark brown with sun burnt golden tips.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS