Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats with bad feet  (Read 5548 times)

semillion

• Joined Oct 2014
Goats with bad feet
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »
We have two pet toggenburg goats about 10yrs old.  They have constant trouble with lameness.  We have tried everything we can think of, treating them with the same foot sprays as the sheep, and regular clipping.  Does anyone have any experience with this problem, and what is the best way to treat them. The vet told us that there are no medicines approved for goats.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats with bad feet
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
First - what is the actual lameness - is it laminitis (caused by over-feeding), or is it scald/footrot (caused by wet bedding/damp field) or something else entirely?

If scald/footrot - treat in the same way as you would sheep, and I have found the best way (for my sheep) is to foot-bath with a product called "Lameless" combined with an antibiotic injection (Alamycin LA). 

I personally don't know anything really about laminitis - but gooogle Laminitis in goats and it should give you some ideas.

A vet can prescribe ANY medication licensed for ANY animal if s/he thinks it is of benefit, however they may make you sign a waiver in case of unforeseen problems. It's called the cascade system, and due to the low number of medicines licensed for goats we have to "borrow" a lot from either sheep or cattle... dose rates may be different though. If you don't milk her (and I presume you are not planning on eating him/her) then you shouldn't have any issues with withdrawal times...

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:06 pm »
If your goats are 10yrs its quite possible, assuming that there isn't any obvious foot problem as you don't say, that they have arthritis. I have kept commercial no:s  of goats and kept them since they retired !! By 10 most have had arthritis in one or other or both front legs. Just a thought if it hasn't been considered. Good luck with them :relief:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:37 pm »
ha ha nothing is ever licensed for goats... :innocent:

but as Anke says, you can get around this by looking at withdrawal times etc with your vet.
Is there any clicking in the legs when they walk?
We have terribly wet ground just now afer all the rain so expecting some lameness but keeping hooves trimmed down helps and making sure they can get onto higher ground and out of any mud too.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
Of course, arthritis another possibility... as Melmarsh says...

semillion

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:38 pm »
Thanks for your advice, given they are 10yrs old I think they may have arthritis, they've had Alamycin injections and its made no difference and I use cyclo antibiotic spray on their feet.  Maybe its time to say goodbye I don't like to see them suffering.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »
have you tried painkillers might help if its arthritis eg metacam /loxicom from your vet also goats can have asprin not sure of the dose would have to look it up. maybe worth discussing with your vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:14:49 pm »
Thanks for your advice, given they are 10yrs old I think they may have arthritis, they've had Alamycin injections and its made no difference and I use cyclo antibiotic spray on their feet.  Maybe its time to say goodbye I don't like to see them suffering.

Willow is a natural version of aspirin - the soft (and by now leaf-less) branches which they will love! Goats can also have aspirin tablets crushed into something like banana, not sure about ibuprofen (which would be better for arthritis as it is also anti-inflammatory). John Matthews has a chapter on the geriatric goat in the latest edition of Diseases of the goat - if your vet has it maybe worth reading through it.

However if you think they are in pain and not enjoying life anymore, there is obviously a choice to be made.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 09:43:55 am »
What are they fed, does they're diet contain a lot of starch/sugars?  Could be lami, but yes they are getting on a bit too aren't they.  I woul also add some ACV with mother to they're drinking water x

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:20 pm »
Hello again, mine have metacom s/c I spoke to my vet and between us I have agreed to make the decision necessary when I feel they are no longer happy with life. They have both spent a good deal of time out in the evening sun this summer enjoying  themselves, when you they've had enough they would come back in . I don't feel that they will still be with me next year depending on the winter and their attitude to life. Like all stock keepers you will know when the time is right.  :hug:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »
Hiya. As Anke says willow bark full salicylic acid same as asprin. Rosemary also really good as a painkiller and specific for arthritis without the tummy upsets from asprin. 1 handfull fresh (if your lucky enough to have that much!) or 1 teaspoon dried twice a day.  :wave:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS