Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep can't eat - advice please  (Read 9243 times)

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
Sheep can't eat - advice please
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:10 pm »
Hebridean shearling ram, out with other shearling rams, no ewes.

Losing condition. Mouth open. Some saliva on lips. Not eating or cudding. Hungry, but just holds nuts in mouth. Teeth front & back feel fine and can't feel a blockage anywhere. No heat in jaw. No body damage, doesn't react to being prodded anywhere. Breathing seems normal, small knock on bridge of nose but very minor. Lethargic.  First noticed yesterday but caught up today and gave 3 desertspoons glucose in water in a syringe which he swallowed fine.  Wormed in March but summer poo tests of sheep in general were clear, I could worm again I guess?

Rest are fine.  Any ideas anyone please?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:41:40 pm by shfanne »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep can't eat - advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »
Vet.
Could be a number of things, listeria being one, which requires hefty doses of penicillin, or poisoning which may require different treatments.
If not eating or cudding he definitely needs some medication.

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
Managed to get hold of vet eventually, got Metacam & Noroclav injections and have more noroclav for next 2 days.  Wait and see.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »
Aww so he should be more comfortable.  Has he had any access to female feed or summat too high in goodies which has caused waterbelly/urinary calculi. Is he bloated, full of fluid.  We ve had it here, if it is that when the mr went and fed ewe nuts to some rams, they went off food, we're depressed.  I drenched them with lemon juice and water and add a little juice to water too.  They improved speedily.   The juice alters the pH and so helps break down the crystals and flush them out.  I understand that this may not be what he's got,but I wouldn't rule it out.  Or perhaps he had a knock, or he's deficient in Sc, b12.that would cause thriftiness.

I'd pick him some browse too, unless the vet said not to x

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:02:56 pm by Hellybee »

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:49:20 am »
He is not full of fluid and is very hungry and wants to eat but physically can't chew, his lower jaw is hanging open but he does have the ability to swallow as he took the glucose water down and I have seen him drink at the trough.  They only ever get basic stock feed in small quantities to keep them tame, not ewe nuts. The drugs have made him more active today but not helped the chewing problem.  There is nothing in there physically stopping him from closing his jaw and all his teeth feel solidly rooted.  He may well have had a knock as he is out with the other rams, none of which show any problems, but does bot react to being prodded anywhere.  The only thing that has changed is they are restricted to one field at present, else they just hang around at the ewes gate all day upsetting senior ram.  There is a sycamore in the field and I know some sycamores cause problems with horses but the sheep have always grazed round it.  I will try turning some nuts into mash for him when I jab him today.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »
You could try cutting him some bits and pieces from the verge to tempt his appetite. 

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:42 pm »
could he have had a fight and although not broken his jawbone suffered some nerve damage???  fighting is very likely at the moment if tups are together.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
Concussion? :-\ .    Nerve damage around head/neck? I had a spaniel that had no visible signs of injury but had severe, near fatal, concussion.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »
Right I see now, does sound like some sort of nerve damage or break, perhaps make him up some gruel like feed and see if he ll slurp it up get some grub in him x

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »
Did that this lunchtime and he ate a sheep nut mash, had some more glucose and another jab in the bum.  Think the nerve damage in the jaw is probably favourite as he can slurp and he tries to graze.  Perked up a bit so I am hopeful.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 07:31:20 pm »
How's he doing shfanne?  :fc:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
He is eating a bit of grass as he always has some hanging out his mouth, but not enough as he is losing condition. He is not so easy to catch any more as I have been syringing mash down his throat - laced with boswellia that I use on the arthritic cob.  Really no change.  Think he might have to go on the butchers list I'm afraid.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »
They sometimes come better eventually.  We had a ram lamb who'd been picked on by the big tups and couldn't walk - nerve damage.  Ben propped him up with bales in the barn and fed him and watered him.  He wasn't in pain just seemed to have 4 dead legs!  After a week or so he was supporting himself and eventually went on to live outside with the pet lambs.  He was never 100% but was quite happy.  He did of course go on his holidays later on..
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

shfanne

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:29 pm »
Funny - no sooner had I decided that he was off to the butcher and he started grazing again!!!  Will be keeping an eye on him; either way, if he eats more he will be better living or butchered.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS