Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goldcrest  (Read 2819 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Goldcrest
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:59 am »
A couple of days ago I saw a tiny goldcrest in our garden.  I last saw one 19 years ago when we first moved in, and one accidentally got into the house.  I held out my finger, it hopped on and I took it outside.  Gorgeous  :)  But then I didn't see another until now.  I'm so pleased it likes our garden - we aim to please the wildlife, so it looks like a success  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Goldcrest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:23 am »
Goldcrest the smallest British bird you are so lucky, I have in my 61 years only ever seen one which was on the isle of Arran in the eighties as I was walking along the road on the way to climbing Goatfell. Another pretty Bird the Kingfisher in all the years I have been fishing I have only seen one which was on the river Lugar down water from Ochiltree.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:48:28 am by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:16 am »
It's so lovely to hear about the wildlife you are attracting to your garden, Fleecewife.

I haven't seen a Goldcrest for many years either.

I am blessed to have seen four Kingfishers in my life; one in Devizes I saw several times as I ran along the tow path.  Most recently, on a family walk in the Midlands, some birders were keen to share with us their pictures of a kingfisher that frequented the river we were walking by.  The rest of the family gathered around the tablet and admired the pics; I watched the river and saw the real thing  :excited:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:12:41 am »
We see the goldcrest in our garden .... often in a conifer tree. So tiny. Last week there was one in an old hawthorn just outside our back door. Spotted him as I watched the Long Tailed Tits. Apparently there old country name was 'Bum Barrels'. My daughter loves them. Anyone know why they were given that name?

Used to see the kingfisher regularly as a child. We lived in the Midlands and our garden adjoined a very large pool. He was always there. Either spotted as he sat perfectly still above the water or as the most vivid streak of flying blue. Not seen one here in Wales.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:27 am »
I saw  2 goldcrests fighting below the large pine trees in our old garden.  I read they will fight to the death :( .  They were oblivious to me - good job there were no cats about!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »
I love gold crests but not seen one for years.
We have kingfishers on our burn and pond. Last year I was swimming and one flew right overhead and started fishing from a fence post in the water. I swam closer and closer to it till only a few m away, it didn't mind a bit! Was the most amazing view ever!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:36 am »
we have them around here but then also have a fair amount of pine trees-also have kingfishers in the burn in the horse's field, very lucky :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:04:25 am »
funnily enough there has been one outside my kitchen window for the last week or so - its in the rose bushes, not even near the conifers!  I wonder if its a sign of a bad winter if they are coming further south than normal?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:19 am »
We sometimes see both birds - we're about to plant some conifers to try and attract the Goldcrests to nest here and when the river Teme is flowing too fast for them to hunt they sometimes fish from the bridge across the farm pond - this leaves us with mixed feelings as there are no fish in the pond so we suspect their prey is Great Crested Newts!  I once picked up one that had flown into a plate glass window and took it to a wildlife sanctuary as it had concussion.  Exquisite and so light that I couldn't feel it on my hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS