Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 Saddleback Sows to rehome.  (Read 5713 times)

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
2 Saddleback Sows to rehome.
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:48 pm »
I'm looking to find good homes for two large but docile Saddleback sows, Pepsi & Shirley. Both are good-natured and easy enough to move about.... if you have a food pail handy :-)

The reason is that we are going to concentrate on our small group of Tamworths, so the two Saddlebacks are surplus to requirements.

Ideally both pigs would go together but that's a lot of pig, so happy to rehome them one at a time. We are near Callander, Perthshire and would be happy to assist with delivery within reason.

Free to a good home is the bottom line.

Thanks,

Gene.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: 2 Saddleback Sows to rehome.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:21 pm »
Hi gene.

What age are the sows? And parity?
Cheers

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:57 pm »
Frankly, I'm not sure how old they are. About 6 we think, we did not breed them, they were about 4 when they came here.  Both had litters earlier this year and are in good shape.

I can post pics tomorrow.

Sorry, I don't understand "parity" ?

G.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:53:24 am »
Parity basically means amount of litters they've had but guess you wont know if you didn't have them from gilts. With the age & distance I'll pass thanks. Good luck ????

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:50 pm »
Shame I'm not closer :(

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »
As promised, a pic. This is Shirley back in the summer. Pepsi is similar in size but with less of a white band.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:34 am »
 :wave: thats not a saddleback…..if it was it would have floppy ears. what you have there looks like a hampshire.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:47 am »
Just what I thought. Sweet looking girl though and I still wish they were nearer :(

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »
Oh !   Well, that's what we were told they were. You live and learn.

...either way, still looking for new homes.

:fc:

heatherwil123

• Joined Aug 2014
  • kirriemuir
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:16 pm »
Hi there
Just saw your ad for Pepsi and Shirley  live outside Kirriemuir on a smallholding and have been thinking about a couple of pigs. We have sheep, 5 cows and loads of hens and just love the animals. we were wondering how old the girls are and what type of housing they require. Are they quite easy to live with and what type of food do they eat?
We are always happy to add members to our mad house makes for a great life.

We have 5 Bull calves, 25 Sheep, 2 Pygmy goats god knows how many hens, 2 cats and I train Guide Dogs for a living, it,s turning into a mad house and i wouldn't change a thing.
Oh and we had an unexpected lamb born 4 weeks ago.

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:44 pm »
Hi Heather.

We think they are about 6. During the summer they would probably happily live outside without any shelter, they built a big nest this summer and slept in that, ignoring the housing. We have a couple of corrugated arcs, a field shelter that was originally for horses and a stable, they have happily spent time in all of them. 

They are docile and easy to work with, they both like a scratch behind the ears etc. To move them is easy, they'll follow a feed pail and have no fear of walking straight into sheds or trailers. They will eat just about anything, this time of year they are on commercial sow nuts, during the summer they were grazing the grass down as well.  They also get spare veg, fallen apples etc.

I'll PM you our phone-number if you'd like to talk.

Cheers,

Gene.

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:09:55 pm »
Bump. The girls are still looking for a new home....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »
They look really good, its a shame I live so far away, cause am in need of some pigs within the next yr. I hope you find them a good home though. Why don't you try preloved, I have sold a lot of stuff through that website before.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Genem

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Good idea, thanks.

Do you know of the Mitchells, not far from us over in Fife - Started with Puddledub Pork and branched out with Buffalo ?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:59 am »
Yea my dad knows him quite well.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS