Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Indian Runner - Hunched Neck  (Read 2646 times)

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
Indian Runner - Hunched Neck
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:50:50 am »
Hi all, this is my first post in the forum. I have used the website as a resource for a while but I now need some specific info.
I got a group (1 drake 3 ducks) of Indian runners 3 weeks ago and they had been settling into their new area quite well.
Over the weekend one of the ducks has started stooping her neck all of the time. She is eating ok and there are no other signs of ailments. Although I have not seen it I wonder if she is just being bullied/harrassed by the drake but worry that it could be something worse? If she is being bullied/harassed should I separate her with one of the other ducks for company?

The ducks currently share a space 20m x 10m with 6 hens that had been a formal garden with lots of interesting plants, conifers, bamboo, hostas, weeping willows etc etc. There is a pond in the area of ~3m^3 which had been filled in for an extended time with stone chuckies. I cleared the pond and flushed it through a few times before introducing the ducks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Indian Runner - Hunched Neck
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »
I've kept ducks for several years but can't think I've come across this.  Like you the bullying would be the first thing I would think of and I'm not sure that separation will do the trick, when they come out again and rejoin the group it may just reoccur.   You could phone the vet but they would likely just want her to be brought in (stress) and it's likely they won't know what's up to be honest.

Any signs of feathers pulled out - could be drake, could be pecking order.  Make sure they are wormed (Flubenvet from your local farm supply store usually works).  Many signs of things with ducks are down to worms even if they look unrelated.  Could she be semi-impacted with something that's bothering her?  Make sure if you give them a bread treat it should be a treat, so just once a week or so and it should be wet (v.important) to avoid it sticking and it should be brown bread to avoid it gluing up their insides. 

Things may settle down but just keep an eye on her they may just be establishing the pecking order.  Hope she does better soon, sorry can't be of further help.

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:06:37 am »
It sounds to me like a case of a duck literally "keeping her head down" but keep an eye on her and make sure she gets enough to eat and isn't being bullied off the grub.

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

She is getting plenty to eat and I have never seen her being picked on by the others. I asked the supplier however he had no further ideas, simply recommended worming. I treated the 4 of them and will wait and see what happens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS