Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rugs  (Read 5316 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Rugs
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:36 am »
I have a 11.2Hh Welsh pony. He wintered out last winter before I got him and he currently lives out with natural shelter.  He doesn't seem to like being enclosed but I do have a stable for him if the weather gets really bad.  I was wondering if I ought to get a coat for the winter or not to bother?  The field he is likely to winter out in does have a field shelter which I will bed up so he will be out of the rain.  He is already starting to get a winter coat. 

Would you recommend getting a rug? If so one with a neck cover too? Also what thickness / brand - value for money preferred

Thanks

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Rugs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:07 am »
neck covers ruin manes but most seem to have them nowadays.
is the pony a good weight if not a rug will help keep his feed bill down and prevent rainscald along his back.
mine are natives so if anyone gets a rug its been 200gr ones or they will sweat, but generally they aren't rugged unless they are being ridden and need a clean back on a daily basis, or if they tend to lose weight over the winter.
many ponies wont tolerate a rug and take it off themselves.
if you get one then get a spare one as one is bound to break.
derby house, robinsons and rideaway do nice ones, shires are good but there are lovely ones designed for ponies.
we have had a few welshies in the past, some youngsters have needed a rug and others haven't. our present welshie is far to fat for a rug and will have to burn his fat to keep warm over the winter  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:21:24 pm »
I've got a Highland and a Shetland (and a Fell, who lives here but isn't mine). None of them are rugged in winter. I DO have waterproof rugs (ie no padding) for Smokey but since he's pretty much retired, keeping him dry and clean for riding isn't an issue so I don't bother.

They have natural shelter.

They're all on two wee feeds of chaff a day plus ad lib straw; limited grass even over winter. TBH if they are burning calories to keep themselves warm then they will lose a bit of weight (which is what they're supposed to do over winter). I've yet to see any of them become a rickle of bones.

I wouldn't rug unless there was a really good reason to e.g losing excessive condition or if you have them clipped for working. Ponies are pretty good at keeping themselves warm, but if the sun comes out and it gets warm, they're not able to cool themselves down if they're rugged and they get hot, sweaty and itchy.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Ben is definitely not thin but nor do I believe he is obese.  He has done very well on very limited grazing this year and has 1 slice of hay a day now as the grass going over a bit.  I wont be feeding him a hard feed routinely but he will have hay.  I think I will not get a rug until the need presents itself - he isn't ridden enough to warrant clipping and there is always shelter available wherever he is.

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
I'm with the others and wouldn't rug him.

During the last year I've been reading up on a lot off the research re laminitis/EMS/Cushings and there is some compelling evidence that some natural weight loss in the winter due to lower nutrients in grass and cold reduces the chances of insulin resistance, which has increased because we keep our horses rugged, stabled and fed  as well as many being overweight.
Obviously you don't want them getting into poor condition but I'm planning on less rugging for mine this year and letting their weight naturally reduce a bit as they are a little plumper than perfect.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:11 pm »
I agree. I wouldn't rug. You may gets lots of abuse from well meaning passers by but my reply is always he's grown is own & ask when they last saw highland cows in rugs...
However I would buy a 100g cheapy for emergencies. If he gets ill or injured at least you've got one in case. Even a foot abscess in foul weather could make him miserable for a few days.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 01:12:36 pm »
Okay

Thanks

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »
I have Fell and Dales ponies, and like the other native ponies, they are designed to cope with severe weather without the need for rugs. I have had some nasty comments from people saying they should be rugged up/in a stable in the worst of the winter weather .......they live 1000ft up on a hillside, but if these people cared to stop and watch them, they get themselves under the dry stone walls and turn their bottoms to the wind.  In fact most of the time they just carry on grazing, even in a blizzard.  I have tried rugs - one of the ponies ripped its way out of three rugs in a week.  I do have rugs, for emergency use, but in my view, if they are well fed, have plenty of hay, and some form of shelter whether it be field shelter, hedge or walls, native ponies are happier left out, and manage without rugs.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:27 pm »
I rug mine as they come in at night but if they were living out all the time I would not rug a native. A field shelter should be enough. I know people who put the rug on in October and it stays on till the Spring. not good for the pony at all. As long as the pony looks well you should be fine.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »
We only rug the under threes and the elderly here.  I agree with the others as long as he s got shelter and forage he ll be fine.  The trouble with these natives is that chuck a rug in em, and they just lay fat on fat. X
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:46:09 am by Hellybee »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:14:08 am »
Agree with everyone above, it is so easy to cause problems with rugs.  With a native pony that is not clipped, too light weight a rug flattens their wonderful winter coat, and they end up colder than they would have been without, and too heavy a rug causes sweating which can quickly make a pony uncomfortable or even ill.  If you do choose to rug (and I do have 2 with rugs on just now, so I am not completely anti rug!) they require much more careful monitoring.  It is almost easier once the weather gets worse and at least there is less of a worry about them getting too hot.
I would not be particularly worried about cold, persistent wet tends to have more of a negative effect.

If you do wish to get a rug to have one in case you feel you need one, Ruggles are very good, they do ones with and without neck covers, but the ones with neck covers are elasticated behind the ears so they don't blow back.  They have an ebay shop.  I just discovered them last year, and are very good quality for the price - I have always had more expensive brands in the past, but tried these as they had very good recommendations for being correct dimensions for small ponies, and I am very impressed.  If you are buying one to have in just in case, I would go for 200gm - they are not going to end up colder with that than with no rug, but are less likely to overheat either.

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »
I only rug my Section A in very bad weather or if she's ill. I have a no fill Horseware Amigo pony for her as I've found it's the best fit for her shape.  If they have a shelter they will probably take themselves in if needed.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:25:44 pm »
Thank you again

Sarah

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS