Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter feeding  (Read 5387 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Winter feeding
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:48:03 am »
My goats (and sheep) are really enjoying apple and pear branches at the moment. I'm wondering if I can cut a load, and then store them to give over winter when they're no longer available. Is it possible or will they just go bad and not be feedable?
I've heard that I can store nettles but neither the goats or sheep will eat nettles either growing or pulled and wilted.
What can I give them over the winter to supplement their hay and feed, that they'll also enjoy and will keep them occupied like the leafy branches do at the moment?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Winter feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »
If you can get pony carrots, they are good although they don't last as long as branches. I was also able to get sacks of swedes which they loved. If you grow brassicas, tying the woody stalks up so they can chew at them will keep them happy.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:10 am »
I haven't started to prune my fruit tress yet, so I would do a couple at a time and give the branches fresh. Same for willow or hazel.

Outer leaves of cabbages (or even inner bits if they are cheap), I grow Kale and PSB (for human and caprine use), soft bits of raspberry canes (not for goats that are in kid though), brambles, pony carrots etc etc, apple peel, bananas....

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:36:19 am »
Thanks very much. Anke - can I give them fruit tree prunings even in winter when the branches are all dried and no leaves left? Is PSB broccoli?
All very helpful, thanks again!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:56 am »
I cut them "fresh" - in winter even without the leaves the bark is soft and green underneath - that's how they like it.

PSB - purple sprouting broccoli. (any kind of cabbage is good, kale in moderation)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »
I soft bits of raspberry canes (not for goats that are in kid though),

Why not for goats in kid?

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:11:00 pm »
I think it can bring on labour, like raspberry leaf tea for pregnant women.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:38 pm »
I think it can bring on labour, like raspberry leaf tea for pregnant women.

Yes. Maybe not proven in animals, but older books recommend giving them to nannies just before kidding but not earlier.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »
Raspberry leaf tea is to give an easier labour not bring it on. I took it during the last three months of my second pregancy and slept through the labour. I just woke up in time to actually give birth.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:36 pm »
Wish I'd known about it 30 years ago   :roflanim:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

jg

• Joined Mar 2009
  • gartmore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »
Went to a meeting about ancient tree identification and during the day meet a great guy  who talked about the ancient art of making tree hay and pollarding. Encouraged by this we are trying this for our cattle. Basically you cut branches in may/june (pollarding makes this easier) and dry under cover then bring out the branches in winter. The other thing he talked about was feeding holly and ivy-(mature holly is not spikey) . Google  'tree hay' for more info. Perhaps not a complete answer for winter feeding but nice for a change and balancing nutrition. Ash is best I think and beech. What about rose bay willowherb -. I have dried that -its a bit fragile but eaten eagerly. Good luck.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:52:45 am »
We used to cut nettles in late spring/early summer and hang them to dry for winter use. Our goats loved them also our chickens (and I would put some into soups/stews over the winter)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:36 am »
After having nettles drying on every surface in the garden, I was disappointed when my girl took one sniff and walked away.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
Raspberry leaf will bring on an easier labour,  will also 'tone' uterus up after birthing. Would be very wary to use during last few weeks..had a bitch who had raspberry leaf for last few weeks nd when bags burst there was a faint raspberry scent!
JG, what a brill idea. Will look up later!
My girls will sometimes eat nettles, seem to know when they need it..
Anke, why kale in moderation?
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 08:43:59 pm »
All of ours love dried nettles, some of them will also eat them fresh picked and hung up in the sheds but only a couple of them will actually eat them out in the field still growing
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS