Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can a pig with a small wound go to slaughter?  (Read 2086 times)

Understated

• Joined Oct 2014
Can a pig with a small wound go to slaughter?
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:18:04 am »
Hi all,
I'm a first time pig keeper and my 2 OSB girls are booked to go off to slaughter in two days time.
I just did a practice loading session and noticed that one of them has a small wound on her back leg. There's no lameness but it is a bit smelly so I've cleaned it up a bit with some hot antiseptic. Theres a bit of proud flesh so it's obviously been there a while, but seems to have come from nowhere as I check them twice a day.
Do abbatoirs accept pigs with a wound like this, or do I need to get it cleaned up and healed first? I was thinking of getting the vet out tomorrow (one of the horses needs to see them anyway) to check.
Thanks!

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Can a pig with a small wound go to slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:20 pm »
Phone the abattoir and speak the the vet, he may or may not be amenable. They are fickle creatures FSA Vets.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:32:03 pm »
Of course if the vet gives any meds for it be sure to check withdrawl periods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »
Could depend on how big "small" is and where and how deep it is.  A scrape 3cm long below the hock could be sprayed with a/b and be fine, a larger, deeper wound on part of the leg that would be used for meat maybe not.

Understated

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, very useful. It's not on a part of the leg used for meat, and appears to be superficial.
Our vet had a look earlier today and seems unconcerned. The plan is to take them both along, speak to the abattoir before unloading and bring them both home if necessary. It's only 10minutes up the road, so thankfully very local.
Cheers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS