Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Matings  (Read 5847 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Matings
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:54 am »
Thank You Thank YOU! That's all so reassuring.

They are fed on molassed goat mix- fancy feeds which is 15% protein, I will see if I can get the dairy nuts around here.

The skinny goat does have a lovely shiny coat and is full of energy, seems healthy in every other way.

I will hold of from panicking for a while.  :fc:

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »
I had 4 came into season a day apart so far they have held - due 1st week of Feb, 1 due 1st week of march with my own male, The day before yesterday took one to visit another male so hope she holds be due 1st week April, Have one more to put in kid due in season next week hope to visit other male but if I can't get away she can go to my own male as i don't want her to kid too much later . Last time she was in season jumped the electric fence stood in the middle of the farm road at the door of the bull pen shed screaming her head off (where my male is securely shut in with companion -don't want no more kidded kids) She definitely sniffed him out.
Will have to try string and nail -some peopl try this old wives tail and swear by it hold a piece of string over the goats back and if it swings straight up and down the spine in empty round and round or side to side in kid will be scanning aswell

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »
The last three have been mated, all about the same time. But 3 weeks after the others. Nine in total- far too many!

Bloomer, yes, Kola has been mated! Thinking of trying the string and nail trick too Talana

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:41 pm »
My BG's have mated...we think, our Billy is young and Tina isn't and is too tall for him, so he was standing on a pallet - we'll see if he managed to reach in three weeks I guess (it was getting dark and I was at the wrong end to see if he made it!)
My BA hasn't come into season yet and we aren't sure who she is going to my BG Billy would need two pallets for her I reckon. The GGs will be mated next month or at least that's the plan.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:52 pm »
 :(  my one BT girly that I wanted to kid next year has just come back into season today - I thought we were safe as she was mated on the 1st. Guess she has long cycles. Now have the nightmare of trying to get her mated again as the billy is no longer at the same place.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »
The only one to come back into season after being mated was the one I took to a different male - bother, couldn't get away from home between work and helping out with preparations  for dunecht schools xmas fair, so I just put her in with my own Togg male so hopefully she'll stay in kid this time.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »
:(  my one BT girly that I wanted to kid next year has just come back into season today - I thought we were safe as she was mated on the 1st. Guess she has long cycles. Now have the nightmare of trying to get her mated again as the billy is no longer at the same place.

Oh bummer... trip to Guildy Den?

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 08:26:20 pm »
My BG's have mated...we think, our Billy is young and Tina isn't and is too tall for him, so he was standing on a pallet - we'll see if he managed to reach in three weeks I guess (it was getting dark and I was at the wrong end to see if he made it!)

I have a very similar situation. Have mated my 2 girls  and Billy is young and my one of my girls is pretty tall. He certainly tried his best but was very dismissive of my attempts to sort him a "booster seat". I guess only time will tell in a bit less than 3 weeks. My smaller girl came into season this morning and he certainly knew what he was doing with her.
Fingers crossed for May 2015. :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS