Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with sage?  (Read 15432 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
What to do with sage?
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:27:38 pm »
The sage plant has gone mad this year so it needs seriously cutting back. I am going to end up with armfuls of the stuff. It smells so lovely that I don't want to put it on the compost heap. What else can I do with it?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: What to do with sage?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:28:50 pm »
Hang it somewhere to dry and give it away !!!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:47:10 pm »
Make your own stuffing with some of it, much nicer than Paxo.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:24 pm »
I love sage, I put it in all kinds of things - scrambled eggs, omelettes, any stew or soup, just love it.

If you have more than you can use, then yes, give it away.  Wish I lived nearer!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:13:04 am »
I'm with the drying for later use. You can also freeze it for later cooking.

I love sage, I put it in all kinds of things - scrambled eggs, omelettes, any stew or soup, just love it.

If you have more than you can use, then yes, give it away.  Wish I lived nearer!  :D

Remind me on next visit to bring you some  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:18:33 am »
I'm with the drying for later use. You can also freeze it for later cooking.

Remind me on next visit to bring you some  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Like  :thumbsup:   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:04 am »
Dry it and post to SiN !
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »
Hi,
Chop up the leaves and freeze it.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 01:20:41 pm »
Love sage, it's great as sage and apple jelly, delicious with pork.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 06:24:57 pm »
OK. I will dry it. Once done I will let you know. Happy to post it to anyone who wants it.

My timing wasn't great on this one. I was in Bradford last week and probably could have arranged to hand over fresh sage to a few people in the north. :innocent:

Will try to do better next year.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »
Just watching 'Trust me I'm a doctor' on BBC1 and it seems sage is the answer to the dip in concentration some people have in the afternoons ! It was in the form of pills though so I'm not sure chewing it would work as well. And some people think it may even help with the symptoms of Alzheimer's.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
I'd best start chewing it then!  My plant didn't do so well this year so I might plant a few new ones!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:02:42 am »
A friend once gave me some tablets for the dog to sweeten his breath, the chief ingredient was sage. Despite my doubts it actually worked - if you got a whiff of his breath you'd appreciate the magnitude of that, lol.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
Do you know that sage is really good for women who are going through menopause it stops hot flushes, also you can use it on your teeth I think it helps to whiten them. You could also make tincture with it, sage tincture is very good for mixing with other tinctures to ward off colds.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 09:51:22 am »
Also I forgot to mention..... sage tea is good for bites, stings, catarrh, colds, flus, diarrhoea, gum problems, mouth ulcers, sore throats. Caution - not advisable during pregnancy or when breastfeeding. Not suitable for children under 4 years. Use sage tea as a gargle or mouthwash for quick results in relieving sore throats, mouth ulcers, and sore gums. Its astringent and healing action also makes it useful for diarrhoea. Sage benefits almost all cold and catarrhal states and is a good digestive tonic. It will reduce excessive sweating and hot flushing. Fresh crushed leaves rubbed on to insect bites or stings will help pain and swelling. For greater effectiveness try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the tea when using it as a gargle! Sage is a strong tea so do not take more than 3 cups a day.
Also if dried completely, with no moisture at all in the leaves, you can store in an airtight jar in a cool dark place.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS