Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small scale pig breeding paddock  (Read 3740 times)

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
Small scale pig breeding paddock
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »
Hi

I just wondered what folks think of our idea. We have a couple of very nice Kune Kune pigs which we keep in small paddock at the end of our garden. In the Spring I was thinking of breeding from the gilt and starting a small herd of pedigree stock for showing and to sell as pets and breeding stock. I have seen some land for sale but its 2 miles away though it is very nice.

Given that we don't really want to move the whole family (again) how feasible is it to manage this sort of operation if its this sort of distance or would it just be a case of managing it pretty carefully. I'm aware that horses are often kept away from living accommodation but often in livery type arrangements.

Any ideas welcome from people's experiences.

Many thanks,

Tim
 :pig:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Small scale pig breeding paddock
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:35:28 pm »
I live five miles from our land and manage perfectly well. The only thing is you do need someone to take care of your animals should you be taken ill etc. Also you have to think of fuel getting there and back twice a day (though you could probably cycle two miles) and could you get there in snow and ice. But, yes, perfectly do-able with a bit of foreward planning. Good luck.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:11 am »
Thank you for the reply, that sounds grand.  :excited:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:36:38 am »
Very often done but be aware of the location and who is roundabout.  Prime pork has been known to disappear and one car that stopped me to ask for directions had a piglet as a passenger.  I commented on the piglet to be told they had found it in the road and were taking it home for their children.  Fortunately for the piglets real owner I memorised the number and the police contacted the people and had it returned.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:02 am »
Yes that's a very good point. Once my wife did find a piglet by the roadside and my daughter, then aged 2, held it whilst they took it to a vet for treatment. It'd escaped from a farm and had been hit by a car. The story had a sad ending.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
you need excellent fencing, a commitment to visit twice a day during a normal days and much more often during farrowing times. security is a major point to consider but cctv and farm watch may help. webcam maybe?  the biggest worry I would have is people up to no good and you not knowing.
how big is the land? id feel more comfortable if the land was big enough for the livestock to ran away from danger.
maybe you could ask a neighbour to contact you if any emergencies occurred.
farrowing at your house would be better than farrowing down the road.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:19 am »
We keep some of our sheep on a smallholding literally two minutes' walk away.  The owner has retired from sheep keeping so it has good fencing, a hay barn and old stables they can use for shelter.  Even so it's a bit of a pain through the WInter, especially if there's snow on the ground and they finish off the hay we keep down there for emergencies.  My neighbour keeps a close eye on them but we still go down twice a day to break the ice on the water supply. 

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:18:21 pm »
Thanks everyone, its good to hear your experiences. I'm keeping my options open and might even knock on some local doors to see what, if any, options come our way. I like the idea of farrowing at home though.

Tim

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:56:18 am »
I tend to forget that my land is in the back of beyond and can only be accessed on foot or in a 4x4. I didn't think of your land being near a road and easily accessible. In which case take the advice of the others on here. Good luck :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS