Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to feed my meat birds ?  (Read 2478 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
What to feed my meat birds ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »
Hi got 12 cocks 3 weeks old from a local farm they will all ready be about 1kg each , last time I just fed them on growers and mixed corn , just wonderd what you guys fed

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: What to feed my meat birds ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:18:00 am »
Mine get growers and some corn late afternoon but they're not specifically meat birds - just birds I happen to eat if I have too many cockerels!

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:29 am »
Am worred that if I feed growers they will get to big to quick ?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
Mine just have whole wheat and free range. If you can't free range then I would feed growers as well as wheat.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:22 am »
Mine just have whole wheat and free range. If you can't free range then I would feed growers as well as wheat.

What breeds are those? I'm looking at ways of raising our pure breed cockerels (Marans / Sussex / RIR /Leghorn) to a good weight for less cash. At the mo they have 100% growers until 6 months and turn out OK. We've got a woodland and was considering raising them in there either in nets or fixed pens. Wondering if I could get away with just wheat if they plenty of leaf litter to scratch through.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »
Am worred that if I feed growers they will get to big to quick ?

Isn't that the point? Trouble with meat birds of the commercial style is they do get so big they can't move very easily but if you want them for the table, that's fine, isn't it? Mine are Orpingtons so skinny as at 3 months but a decent size at 6 months - albeit turkey sized legs and not so much breast.

H

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:07:41 pm »
I want them to be big but not go off ther legs , I'd like to have them for Xmas

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:17:45 pm »
It's only 8 weeks until Christmas, I'd have thought you'd be fine if they're supposed to top out at ten or eleven weeks.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »
The point of free range is the grass, weeds and insects. Mine are surplus crossbred cockerels and only eaten by us. The best thing is to try and see what you get :chook: :fc:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »
They kill the hens at 5 weeks and the cocks at 6 they grow so fast it's Unbelieveabel ! , I have cut the food rite back and they are coming out ov the shed on to the grass now

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »
personally I think the hybrids you mention are bred to finish that quick and aren't meant to be slow growers. why not try a more traditional type hybrid next time that is more suited to free range. there are different types around im sure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS