Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coccidiosis in Ewes  (Read 6093 times)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Coccidiosis in Ewes
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:12 pm »
Hi  I was wondering if anyone had experience of coccidiosis in a Ewe.  I bought a Ewe a few months back and she started scouring and to cut a long story short, after being treated for worms and then fluke, the vet called to say the Fec count came back very high for Cocci.  She said it's very rare in Ewes,  that she would have come with it and gave me treatment my small flock.  Today I saw this ewe has lost fleece around her tail, it is just falling off her.  The skin is fine, not scally or sore.  Is this part of Cocci?  I have tried to investigate the disease but can not find out much and it always refers to small lambs 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Coccidiosis in Ewes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:41:56 pm »
Sheep sometimes after being poorly do drop fleece, due to the stress of it all, but don't Rory it will grow back just make sure she s got somewhere to go when it gets nippy x

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:07 am »
Thank you, its seems little Buttons has had a stressful time lately.  I have got quite attached to her, she is so friendly now and quite unrecognisable from 'little miss stampy' who arrived with us, I would hate for her to have another problem so soon.  Thanks for the reassurance  :relief: xx

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:28 pm »
That's ok , I got one lamb who is housed at the mo, he's done it after being poorly, he's covered in fine layer of fluff,  I shall keep him close over the winter,  whilst his fleece grows back x

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:55:43 pm »
Ah bless the poor little lad although I bet he will enjoy the extra attention.  Had the vet out again to Buttons as she has got worse again.  Now had blood tests and engemycin to rule out every option but she thinks if they come back ok and there is no response to the medicine, it must be some gut damage from when she was younger. Fingers crossed she starts to improve  :fc:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »
What's her body score like, hope she improves x

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:05:10 pm »
Not good at scoring but I think 2.5  not too thin but can feel the backbone.  She does seem to go up and down, but it would be great if she could keep weight on and stay steady.  Vet is happy she is bright and eating well, temperature is fine, not too thin.  It's the scouring with blood that is worrying and the fact she is slowly losing condition.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:18:35 pm »
Has he said anything about deficiencies, b vits and SC? X

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:49 pm »
No they have not said anything about that.  I will look into it. Thanks xx

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:31 pm »
You could also put some apple cider vinegar (with mother) in her drinking water, you can also drench it too, 20 ml a time 1:1 acv:water got pectin in it and will help her gut walls and also kill off bacteria.  Great stuff x

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »
Definitely will give that a try.  Vet called to say all the tests have come back fine and she is at a bit of a loss why she is not ok after she has had all the treatment for everything.  Good thing today she seemed to have dried up a bit but still very bloody. I am just not sure what to feed her to keep her weight up but that definitely won't stress her or upset her guts.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »
Did the vet say what's best to feed her? Some nice hay and fluids, have you tried an electrolyte too.  I keep a norbrook one, it's a pink gel. 

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
Vet is away for a few days and we were going to have a chat when she gets back.  She is happy on her hay and is eating plenty and is as bright as usual.  I haven't tried an electrolyte, I am very nervous to make her guts worse. Xx

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:37:14 am »
Right enough, best wait to speak to the vet, if she is bright and eating and drinking xx

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 03:10:57 pm »
Thanks for all your help Hellybee.  I don't want to tempt fate but she has stopped producing bloody mucus (well as much as I can tell with all the rain) and is almost producing pellets  :) Vet says to give her some pro-rumen to keep the improvement and she has taken some advice & has concluded that her gut was probably damaged when young and it is now causing her problems.  She is only allowed grass and hay, nothing else.  It seems  mean giving the others a handful of oats, or a biscuit as a treat whilst she is left out, I am having to sneak things without her seeing but the other sheep always like to let her know  :huff: If she stays well I wont breed from her now, but as she was such a good mother I will keep her around as I think she will be helpful xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS