Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New hen house  (Read 7910 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
New hen house
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
I need to build a new hen house. Thinking off using plywood and need 5) 8x4x12mm sheets. Have just found out that exterior ply is £40.00 plus a sheet and then plus the V.A.T. I have seen some "shuttering" ply at £16.00 per sheet and have been told it is WBP (what ever that is)

It looks a bit rough in comparison but will it do ?????.

Any help or advice please.

David

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: New hen house
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
Have you thought about using the plastic stockboard as it won't rot.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:50:50 pm »
WBP means "Water Boil Proof", which basically means you can use it externally.

Some words of caution though. I was given several sheets of shuttering ply a few years ago (cheap looking stuff, with the edges of the sheets painted blue-green), and I used bits of it for a number of different projects.

Most of it lasted less than a year before it started to delaminate, and had to be replaced entirely within two years. You pays your money and you takes your choice!

BTW, we built a duck house from tongue and groove weatherboarding three years ago, and it's still going strong. Perhaps not as good for redmite prevention, but I thought I'd mention it, as I don't recall it being that expensive.

Edit: ClydesdaleClopper - where's the best place to buy Stockboard / Stokboard?  I've never actually seen it for sale anywhere as sheets?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:00:44 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
Have you thought about using the plastic stockboard as it won't rot.

No, it won't but ..... we purchased a livestock shelter from Animal Arks three years ago and used it for poultry.  First year was fine then we started to notice the floor was very wet.  Thought this might be due to condensation but vents were always wide open, so we drilled holes in the front wall too. Last winter it was so wet we moved the hens and I was actually inside cleaning out when the Heavens opened and I saw the rain was making its way down through the compressed, shredded plastic sheet.  Since then holes the size of a match head and bigger have started to appear in the smooth surface of the roof board, although the sides look OK.  Now have split feed sacks on the roof, weighed down with rocks and it's fine.  (Looks like it belongs in a shanty town, but the hens don't mind and we cancelled the Homes & Gardens photo shoot.)

I did e:mail the company to report this occurrence and invite their response, but nothing so far.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:34 pm »
where are you going for ply? I got mine from local builders merch ant it was £20 12mm for 2m x 3m (or a bit larger actually, got them to cut it to size for me)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »
I have built nearly all our coops and found from experience that plywood doesn't 'breathe' so is prone to condensation. Therefore the only place it is used is on the floor and the roof. In both applications it is primed and gloss painted so that it can be wiped down easily. Still gets black mould spores forming on the surface though, but nowhere near as bad as in an unpainted condition. We had a cockerel with a terrible respiratory infection with the first coops from the black mould forming on the roof. Ventilation was OK at 10% of the coop floor area, but the stuff still formed. I use hardwood ply with exterior grade adhesive because the softwood splits in time. Beware of the cheap stuff that looks like hardwood but is actually just a thin surface layer over softwood.

The sides are treated weatherboarding on frames. Worth spending a bit of extra thought and time and building a coop that can be dismantled. This allows for easy transportation and also application of creosote to kill red mite because the panels can be turned upside down to get the stuff into the joint grooves. The outside is finished in Cuprinol Shades. Nice to have different colours for each coop as well. So we have some in red, some blue and some pale green.

The floor should be at least 18mm thick because at some time you will kneel in it and if it is just 12mm, unless additionally supported, it may split. The plywood sheets I buy are 1.22m x 2.44m.

All our coops are 450mm off the floor, most on a separate chassis. This makes cleaning out easy and stops rats eating their way in.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:45:36 pm »
Marches Farmer - I think the animal arcs ones are made from Ecosheet rather than Stokboard and it has small holes that have to be properly filled
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »
I have a new to me chicken hut  cost me £ 30 New felt and its a goer.  Gumtree.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:33:08 pm »
Stockboard and eco sheet are available from http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/ some ag merchants also stock it or can order it in for you. If it started leaking I would certainly be taking it back considering how much they charge for it.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:45:57 am »
Mole Valley sell Stokboard if there is one near you. I was thinking about it for the walls of my next big house but not so sure now. I might give it a go and see what happens. I plan on building a frame and then the walls will be bolt on panels so I can take the whole thing apart and treat if required.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:42:28 am »
If you are going for WBP ply then make sure it is Far Eastern and not Chinese ply, you will pay a bit more but it will last a lot longer, when we first started making our pig arks we made the mistake of using Chinese ply.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:38 pm »
2 Sheds iv nockt up

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:28 pm »
Just seen this I have to say you need to shop around I just paid 18quid plus vat per sheet for 3 sheets of 12mm ply. Direct from a timber yard I do use a fair bit but I'm not an account holder or anything!

Use ply for all my chook houses liberally painted with creosote it does a great job!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 07:24:30 pm »
2 Sheds iv nockt up
Tidy sheds VF.  Had you considered using Onduline for the roof?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:38:33 pm »
i must admit i dont spend the cash on my sheds .THE 3 IV GOT I ONLEY HAD BOARDS so i boarded 6 inch board all over then light felt then cement fiber wich iv taken of other jobs .Then boarded inside 4 inch rotwool in the gap . i couldent get the jig so the sheds had to be built 4/2 this week a stable . I HAD ONE PERSON WHO HAD 5 HENS AND WONTED A PALICE FOR THEM
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:49:54 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS